Time to Say Goodbye, after 15 years

18 hours ago, garfield said:

Now, to the substance, but SUCH GREAT GRANDSTANDING you do!  Wow!  Academy award-worthy!

Nobody here needs reminding of what they SHOULD think drum corps IS.  We each get to decide that, and a decision contrary to yours is not selfish.

You have no idea how much money the OP has spent to support the activity.  I'd bet it's many times the cost of show tickets or T-shirts.  "For The Kids" has been demonstrated every year for 15yrs according to him.  Respect THAT - don't denigrate his non-support in the future. 

The activity is not just about the kids.  THAT attitude was dead LONG ago when as kids have found other ways to grow up besides cross-town rivalries.  Today's drum corps, with its million-dollar productions (which obviously appeal to you) are designed AS MUCH to generate ticket sales and support as to give the kids a wonderful experience.  The two are not mutually exclusive and today's kids get a WONDERFUL experience.  But, what would that experience look like today if there wasn't a gate with butts in the seats, and screaming Moms and Dad's buying t-shirts?  Surely, you're not that shallow.

I hear musicians, see artistry... and I still support.  The OP sees the A&E and can't stand it anymore.  I get it.

Flaws?  Geesh, you're young.  The current product is wonderful for you.  Me, meh, but I still support.  For the OP, it's "Meh, I'm done".  The activity had better hear that.  Remember, he's only been here for 15 years.  Already, too much change.  The average fan-tenure, according to Vaticinate last polled, is 3 years (I hear ya', Cixelcyd); I wonder if the type of disdain you show the OP contributes to the, apparently, continually decreasing average life of fans.

You're not sorry to see him go.  If you were, you'd be more sensitive to what draws money out of his pocket, not yours.  The activity will go on without him, for sure.  But plot the activity's historic path to maturity as it stands and it's a clear argument that the "magic sauce" that A&E promised isn't a solution.  You may call this "flaws".

Careful getting off your soapbox.  You commented on me making jabs but have no issue with yourself doing that.  Hypocrisy?   When you defend someone expressing an opinion, then slam someone for expressing theirs, it is hypocritical.  I meant it when I said I was sorry to see him go.  Sorry he has grown to not like what he sees.  But there is good stuff going on and he will miss out on it.  So thanks for your diatribe.  Very enlightening.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

What does OP mean....

oops my bad as think I asked same thing when I first saw it.... Original post. In other words the first post when you started the thread.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

The reason I responded the way I did is because I don't care why someone lose interest and then post why they did. Because it was for a reaction. If you lose interest that's fine. But it was posted for a reaction and a kind of "bandwagon" yeah...I get it. I've seen it all the time on here. They come back with a different profile. Like a new person but not really. 

For someone who doesn’t care, this is about your tenth post on this topic. You have a strange way of showing how you don’t care. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Ray Kimber said:

The  Corps Encore Show ran for years before I even knew anything about drum corps.  At some point the Ogden show failed and there were no shows in Ogden for a few years.  My connections at the university, the community, my staff and my money were used to restart the Ogden show.  My contributions might have been counterproductive, minor or even unnecessary to the re-start and continue the Ogden show, I don't know enough to make that call.  What I do know is that myself and (paid) staff from my company were the first ones waiting for the arrival of the first corps, and the last person to leave.  This is true even when some some corps arrived days early in Ogden, and true even when some corps stayed some days after the show.  Year-round we tried to identify and fulfill various wants and needs of the corps when they were in Ogden.  I don't know if anyone on DCP has any first-hand experience with the Ogden show during my involvement.

I was intrigued with the possibility of capturing the sheer magic of the live acoustic performance in a recording.  My attitude about any recording is that it is like trying to can/bottle sushi, you can't do it.  But there is a difference between pet food and Albacore so I wanted to at least have recordings that failed in new ways.  I have some wonderful friends in the audio industry, both on the consumer and the professional side who assisted me.  I did post about those early recording experiences, called IsoMike here on DCP, I kinda liked some of the results. YMMV  Technically we pushed the envelope (and budget) of every single factor.  The last (unreleased) recordings we did are in 4XDSD 4.0 surround.  We played back some of those raw master files at various audio shows with systems costing high 6 figures.  I don't know if anyone on DCP has ever experienced one of my 4.0 playback demonstrations.  I don't know if anyone on DCP were present, in the Ogden recording booth, when we did recordings.  Again, I don't know if my recording efforts were counterproductive, minor or even unnecessary.

Finally, what does "OP" mean?

I think most people listen on Bluetooth headphones or Bluetooth speakers now. The low end (price wise) much better then “back in the day”, but the middle mostly settles for “good enough”. A bit of trivia  - most bluetooth codecs limit you to about 200kbps, so if you think you’re listening to FLAC or 320kbps streams using your Bose Bluetooth headphones, nope. 

48 minutes ago, Ray Kimber said:

Finally, what does "OP" mean?

It stands for "original poster".... the person who created a thread. In this case, you!!!

*edit*  I saw Jim beat me to this, a few posts back.  LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Who cares. I don't care about why someone leaves. Just leave. End of story.

Almost every drum corps in the activity, as well as DCI itself, disagrees with your opinion.

But hey, everyone has an opinion, and thanks for yours!

19 hours ago, deftguy said:

Mr. Kimber, as a fellow sound recordist and mixer, and a strong supporter of your ISO recordings of the Blue Knights and others released on the SACD format, I understand where you are coming from here. I also agree with you on the sound of drum corps on CD. Much like you, I also lament the shift from unamplified drum corps to amplified drum corps. While I have no issue with the use of sound "effects", I do have a major issue with deploying microphones all over the field to increase the sonic impact of the corps. It is overdone, poorly implemented, and takes away alot from the excellent shows on the field. While some may be critical of your departure from this activity, I am not one of them. Everyone has their reason to support drum corps, and leave it as well. Knowing your history as a audiophile and your accomplishments in the audio field, your reason for leaving makes perfect sense to me, even if it doesn't to others. 

I’m sorry for just realizing why I knew Ray’s name! Those ISO recordings were spectacular! 

Mike

20 hours ago, garfield said:

But, what would that experience look like today if there wasn't a gate with butts in the seats, and screaming Moms and Dad's buying t-shirts? 

For Open Class, it would look like any day ending in “y.”

Mike

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MikeN said:

For Open Class, it would look like any day ending in “y.”

Mike

And, if all shows looked like an OC show on any "Y" day (no BITS), the misery would be spread evenly across the activity.

But we'd have parity in bankruptcies and folding corps!

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Careful getting off your soapbox.  You commented on me making jabs but have no issue with yourself doing that.  Hypocrisy?   When you defend someone expressing an opinion, then slam someone for expressing theirs, it is hypocritical.  I meant it when I said I was sorry to see him go.  Sorry he has grown to not like what he sees.  But there is good stuff going on and he will miss out on it.  So thanks for your diatribe.  Very enlightening.

I'm not above picking up the poop you hurl and throwing it back at you.