What If.....

So it's been a little over 2 months since the season has ended, and all is quiet in DCP world as usual during the off season. I find myself often going back and watching the sparse clips of finals night performances and missing the season all over again. But then that also brought to my attention the many times I hear see people not as satisfied as having finals in a dome, let alone in the same venue year in and out.

I know DCI moved championships to Indianapolis in 2008? (Please correct me if wrong haha!) And as far as I'm aware, championships were rotated around the country prior to that yearly in a majority of outdoor venues. So for the past 12 seasons, finals have been in one spot in an indoor stadium. And this started to make me wonder, would competitive results have been different over the years if this weren't the case?

I know some corps have lost prominence in the Lucas Oil era and others have gained. I have not been around DCI long enough to know if this has had any profound effect on competitive results or if these are just natural rises and falls that would've happened anyways regardless.

So my question to anyone out there is do you think the move to Lucas Oil has had any effect on corps success and if so how do you think results would fare today if they would have continued rotating finals around the country in outdoor domes. Hope everyone is having a great off season! 😁

Edited by OhioBoy_99

I think there may have been minor impact the first year or two, but if they weren’t able to adapt to the acoustics after that, they’re not a top 10 corps. 

18 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

I think there may have been minor impact the first year or two, but if they weren’t able to adapt to the acoustics after that, they’re not a top 10 corps. 

Fair enough, and I think there has been an obvious shift in show design. Not sure if that is because of Lucas Oil or just part of the times. But let's say finals never stayed stagnated in Indy, would show design still be as evolved as is now? And what corps would be most effected if not? I just always hear about designing the "soundscape" which is probably very much suited for indoor venues. But what if the corps that haven't been very successful with that currently didn't have to worry as much about it? There probably wouldn't be much difference but I just caught myself thinking about it haha.

In most every case, the winner would've been the same. Some moments  worked great in a dome, but might not have had the same impact outdoors...

-The aforementioned infinity chord

-Blue Stars (2010 I believe, possibly 2011) had a rim shot that just echoed forever. sometimes when I'm back in the oil can I think I still hear the faint echoes, kind of like the Phantom of the Opera

-The shotgun mics getting the entire corps sound to pump through the amps...ambient wind sound through them?

I think shows have been developed with this championship venue in mind, but I also think that would be the case no matter the location of the venue or whether it was indoors or out. The difference might be that although todays' shows are ultimately designed for an indoor championship the design staff also knows that a majority of the shows will be outdoors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

You always design for your end venue 

How easy was that to do prior to 2009, when the end venue was changing every year?

• Like 1

Also, this was just before I started following drum corps again: when was it determined that the 2008 championships would not be held in Lucas Oil because that venue wasn't ready? Did Blue Devils, who are usually considered to be the most prepared corps, design "Constantly Risking Absurdity" thinking they would be performing it indoors? Did "Spartacus" win because of the change to an outdoor setting?