What Was Your Corps Social Scene Like?

Probably NOT PC these days BUT.......

What kind of get together's or parties did you all do?

Our corps would, once in a while, get together at a house after rehearsal.

What about your corps?

Oh Lordy. The parties and after rehearsal bars were just as instrumental in creating bonds if not more than the time spent together in rehearsals, tours, buses, gyms and competition. 

They're one of the most important things about drum corps. Please don't tell me these are all rituals of the past and have gone away. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Oh Lordy. The parties and after rehearsal bars were just as instrumental in creating bonds if not more than the time spent together in rehearsals, tours, buses, gyms and competition. 

100 percent agree.

Both the junior corps and DCA corps where I marched had some epic parties/gatherings, not only after summer shows but in the offseason as well.

Heard the phrase "party at (whoever's) house!!!"  quite a bit over the years. LOL. And if not a party, at various times any number of us would get together to check out a cool town, historical site, winery, whatever.

• Like 1

The above posts might be great for the pre-DCI dinos, but for the last several decades of DCI most social sharing has been at the airports "lounging" out waiting either for the corps vans for pick-ups or the connecting flights enroute to the significant others back at home. Skype, Facebook, and other computer social sites have become the new "neighborhoods" for this century's drum corps.

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

The above posts might be great for the pre-DCI dinos, but for the last several decades of DCI most social sharing has been at the airports "lounging" out waiting either for the corps vans for pick-ups or the connecting flights enroute to the significant others back at home. Skype, Facebook, and other computer social sites have become the new "neighborhoods" for this century's drum corps.

First, neither Fran (if I may speak for you, sir) or myself consider ourselves dinos. We're well-seasoned drum corps enthusiasts of long standing life experiences. 

Second, social media as means of most social sharing? What a hoot that must be. Excuse me while I get a beer while I'm social media socializing. 

Joking aside, I get it, Xan. It ain't the 70s and drum corps bonding or whatever term is used, is in a whole new world. 

• Like 1

Bpt PAL was typical of a Jr Corps born in the late 50's and lasting for a decade or so ... no less than 12 couples hitched up and got married, with the majority still together ... the Legion Post was a big part of our social scene ... can't go wrong with a built in bar, pool table, shuffleboard and roast beef sandwiches ... 

Edited by ajlisko
Spelling
  • Like 2

On 10/18/2019 at 7:37 AM, xandandl said:

Sounds sad and boring, but I believe it. Shame for them social interaction now requires an electronic device.  No wonder I see so many single 20 and 30 year olds. 

On 10/18/2019 at 1:27 PM, OldSnareDrummer said:

First, neither Fran (if I may speak for you, sir) or myself consider ourselves dinos. We're well-seasoned drum corps enthusiasts of long standing life experiences. 

Second, social media as means of most social sharing? What a hoot that must be. Excuse me while I get a beer while I'm social media socializing. 

Joking aside, I get it, Xan. It ain't the 70s and drum corps bonding or whatever term is used, is in a whole new world. 

Well said.

I get it, too.... it's a different world, a different era. No problem with that at all. And thank you for the "well-seasoned drum corps enthusiasts" description!!! :laughing:

I think part of the different social dynamic also stems from the fact that corps are not necessarily made up of mostly local kids/young adults anymore. Much tougher to hang out on free weekends with fellow corps members when they live three states or a couple of time zones away. LOL.

Back in the 1970's when we traveled we had to have conversations...face to face. LOL

Music to listen to? Transistor radios with a makeshift antenna out the bus window.

Our buses had tape decks so the whole bus got to listen to various cassette tapes.  Also, the first walkmans started coming out my first year in corps (1981).  

As far as talking to each other, we did, but sometimes it was difficult because of the open windows!!  Quite noisy.  LOL

Edited by CHRISP
spelling