Baritone Valve Spinning

TheRealMuney

So, for the past while I’ve been having trouble with my Yamaha Marching Baritones first valve. I figured I need to clean it or the stem was in the wrong hole or the spring was messed up, but after investigation what’s happening is that my first valve (whenever it feels like doing it, even if I set it down and then pick it up to play it again) will spin in a 90 degree angle to the right and be misaligned not allowing me to blow air through the horn or allowing the valve to go down. Obviously don’t push it down bc it will damage the valve but like...what is this??? How do I fix it??? I’m afraid that it’s gonna happen during a comp and then I’ll just have to not play 😞

Educated guess is that the nylon valve guide is worn out. Supposedly, replacements for those are easily found. If it isn't that, there should be a good repair place near you with strong techs that can help you. If you're anywhere near Halethorpe, MD, Rosso Music is the place to go. I gladly drive the 90 minutes from Harrisburg to get my gear worked on there.