Jersey Surf $30 Experience Camp - Best Deal Ever?

On 10/28/2019 at 10:57 AM, xandandl said:

If there are two pieces of pie, auditions and call-backs, it doesn't matter what shell game is used in the advertising, whether two pieces at half price (limit two per customer) or buy one-get one free. It still comes to two pieces of pie for the customer and an empty wallet after. There are more important matters in life which demand our full energies than a game of gotcha. Have a nice day.

Image result for photo of empty wallet

The "gotcha" that I see is the callback.

On 10/28/2019 at 12:28 PM, kkrepps said:

TOTALLY FREE!!! 

:blow: ...just this 200 dollar thing  

Plus an additional $125 if you get a callback to re-audition at the December camp.  So the question is...  how many contracts will be offered after the first round of auditions... and how many people will be invited to an additional $125 camp in December?

Edited by rjohn76
Fragment sentence.

The key to the first camp deals is to try and see what the total cost is, and if there are hidden fees, or extra fees etc.

The point of my post is to show there is a cheap first camp option.  Surf is $30, 7th apparently is $10.  Both awesome I think.  Some corps charge $100-$200 etc to get through the door, they are using camps as money makers.  Kids can legit pay $30 bucks to see if they even like it.  Other places they can pay $200 to see if they like it.  In both cases, if they decide they like it, then they can start paying the total cost.  They key is getting a taste without breaking the bank.

• Like 3

On 10/28/2019 at 2:11 PM, George Dixon said:

Check out the registration fees 

gotta pay for 8 foot trophies at the band shows somehow

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Haha 1

On 11/2/2019 at 8:32 PM, jonnyboy said:

The key to the first camp deals is to try and see what the total cost is, and if there are hidden fees, or extra fees etc.

The point of my post is to show there is a cheap first camp option.  Surf is $30, 7th apparently is $10.  Both awesome I think.  Some corps charge $100-$200 etc to get through the door, they are using camps as money makers.  Kids can legit pay $30 bucks to see if they even like it.  Other places they can pay $200 to see if they like it.  In both cases, if they decide they like it, then they can start paying the total cost.  They key is getting a taste without breaking the bank.

Many go to certain places for the experience they desire.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I was talking about the $175 registration fee at Surf 

ah

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 11:12 PM, Jeff Ream said:

gotta pay for 8 foot trophies at the band shows somehow

You mean this I guess. But "National" Championships....???  Remnant of the GH megalomania still about???

The USBands National Champion East Haven High School Co-Op Marching Band’s seniors with the rather large trophy the band won for winning the championship on Saturday, Nov. 2, 2019, in Allentown, Pa.

https://www.ctinsider.com/metro/nhregister/article/East-Haven-High-marching-band-takes-home-national-14809121.php?src=nhrhpcp&_ga=2.103828288.1325624306.1572970869-735095434.1572970869

1 minute ago, xandandl said:

Kinda like the DCI "World" Championship. Those darn DCI megalomaniacs.

55 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

Kinda like the DCI "World" Championship. Those darn DCI megalomaniacs.

DCI has had units from Canada, Ireland, England, Holland, Italy, Sweden, Japan, Costa Rica, Columbia, and held their championships in Montreal twice and the Republics of Boulder and the Republic of Madison several times. Plus mms from France, Norway, Belgium, etc.

Edited by xandandl

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

DCI has had units from Canada, Ireland, England, Holland, Italy, Sweden, Japan, Costa Rica, Columbia, and held their championships in Montreal twice and the Republics of Boulder and the Republic of Madison several times. Plus mms from France, Norway, Belgium, etc.

A token group here and there doesn't make something an actual world competition. Who did the Blue Devils beat this year from around the world? Les Stentors from Quebec? Hardly a "world" competition