History of Percussion Caption Heads

On 10/20/2019 at 7:33 AM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

For Spirit I'm pretty sure it was Tom Float through 81 and I know it was Mike Back through either '89 or 90'. Great guy...great teacher and a huge influence on so many of us.

Dan Spalding was the drum caption head Spirit's inaugural season in 1977. Float didn't come on board until '78.

Edited by oldsoprano
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking of doing something similar a few months ago but was curious about battery and front ensemble arrangers for each corps by year. I find myself perusing drum videos on YouTube often and wondering who wrote the book. Any chance you’d add spots for battery and front ensemble arrangers to your file? 

While you are reviewing your staff history charts,  don't forget all those DCPers who are "percussion expert animals" doing their off-season nightly Aungst while helping the wrennixs writing their better Scojo-at-home; it's quite rare-ick, no? (wink) 

Content & Musicality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZanVzg0Pys

Performance & Technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWb1nrxymRM

general effect: Related image

Edited by xandandl

Troopers is currently Lauren Teel, and she has been there since at least 2017 (possibly earlier) I believe. She has been on staff since 2012 with the Troop.

Glassmen Lee Beddis 1997-2000

5 hours ago, ironlips said:

Garfield Cadets

1970-71  George Tuthill

1974-76  Bill Gaeckle (USMC)

1977        Gerry Shellmer

78-81 wasn't it Bill Kaufmann (formerly with Crossmen staff) who brought GH along as a snare tech.

Then Thom Hannum followed '82 or so, but definitely there for '83,'84 etc.

George Tuthill also was teaching L.I. Kingsmen until Todd Beio took over.

I was forwarded an email by a corps to help someone requesting similar information ... maybe you? Except the verbiage was Percussion Directors.  As we move through the decades the term "caption head" becomes more nebulous across time and the "percussion director" might mean different things.  I'll get you something to work with though.

Edited by mingusmonk

On 10/19/2019 at 11:21 PM, PhrygianHalf said:

Was just scanning your sheet. Not sure Hannum was ever technically the caption head at Star of Indiana. But he definitely was NOT caption head in 1990. Dubie was. Hannum started consulting mid-season. Dubie may have technically remained caption head with Hannum there as well in 92 and 93. They co-arranged.

Edited by mingusmonk

On 10/21/2019 at 5:36 PM, Jeff Ream said:

Bluecoats Dan Delong 2000-2003 I believe

2000 - Dan Delong (Percussion Coordinator)
2001 - Dan Delong (Percussion Coordinator)
2002 - Dan Delong (Director of Percussion Education)
2003 - Dan DeLong (Director of Percussion Education) : Lane Armey (Caption Head)