History of Percussion Caption Heads

1 hour ago, mingusmonk said:

2000 - Dan Delong (Percussion Coordinator)
2001 - Dan Delong (Percussion Coordinator)
2002 - Dan Delong (Director of Percussion Education)
2003 - Dan DeLong (Director of Percussion Education) : Lane Armey (Caption Head)

thanks. i couldn't remember if he was there in 03 or not, didn't want to call and bug him

On 10/22/2019 at 11:37 AM, ironlips said:

Garfield Cadets

1970-71  George Tuthill

St. George..sigh..I sure miss that guy. Marty Hurley, too. 

2 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

St. George..sigh..I sure miss that guy. Marty Hurley, too

I think Joe Wormsworth asked me once where my traditional grip "style" came from (i'm not as flat in the left hand as the players today.) I went to camp where Marty Hurley was teaching at some point when I was in HS and he beat my left hand into submission. In my defense, I was a tenor player at the time LOL. Vast knowledge gained from that camp.

On 10/21/2019 at 12:20 AM, Timplan said:

Bluecoats:  Charlie Poole went there for awhile, after 27th folded.  About '87 - '88.

Charley Poole was the arranger in 88.

19 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I think Joe Wormsworth asked me once where my traditional grip "style" came from (i'm not as flat in the left hand as the players today.) I went to camp where Marty Hurley was teaching at some point when I was in HS and he beat my left hand into submission. In my defense, I was a tenor player at the time LOL. Vast knowledge gained from that camp.

Ah dude, I learned that grip from Marty, too. Still use it to this day. Never marched under Marty, but one day in '72, we were jamming with the Bleu Raeders with Marty leading and he showed us the grip. Little pinky curled, middle finger straight up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Ah dude, I learned that grip from Marty, too. Still use it to this day. Never marched under Marty, but one day in '72, we were jamming with the Bleu Raeders with Marty leading and he showed us the grip. Little pinky curled, middle finger straight up. 

Yep!! That's it! I will say as the mid to late 80's progressed I adapted more and more to the BD "west coast" style. My old band director at that time was Jim Gladson (Troopers guy if I remember correctly) and definitely had a more east coast kinda style. The cats playing these days are absolute beasts. It's like they come out of the womb with killer chops, endurance for days and great technique. 

5 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Also, the stick rests on the fingernaiI on the ring finger. I thought SCV invented that left hand grip in the early seventies? 

On 10/21/2019 at 7:57 PM, afoster87 said:

I was thinking of doing something similar a few months ago but was curious about battery and front ensemble arrangers for each corps by year. I find myself perusing drum videos on YouTube often and wondering who wrote the book. Any chance you’d add spots for battery and front ensemble arrangers to your file? 

I prob wont be, but I think that it would be an interesting idea. The only reason why I wouldn't want to is because of how difficult it is to find info for the caption heads. Finding the info for the arrangers would be way worse. However, you can find in my sources where they talk about both. I would recommend trying to put together your own file!!

On 10/22/2019 at 6:43 PM, mingusmonk said:

I was forwarded an email by a corps to help someone requesting similar information ... maybe you? Except the verbiage was Percussion Directors.  As we move through the decades the term "caption head" becomes more nebulous across time and the "percussion director" might mean different things.  I'll get you something to work with though.

That would be me! Personally I've found percussion director and percussion caption head to be the same thing. If I'm mistaken, if I'm mistaken then please correct me. Thank you for helping towards this project!!!