Auditions: Winners, Losers, Talent Agents???

Ugh!  DCI, no preferred helpings.

from yesterday's "Corps Announcements." (sic) Tick!

5a181124d670bd001f490b03_Ub0oVTUmFSM3Svb

7th Regiment

The Academy will experience a big day on November 10 with auditions for brass and color guard in Blue Springs, Missouri and auditions for all sections in Chino Hills, California.

SEVENTHREGIMENT.ORG

5a18117cd670bd001b2e638e_N41XtnNYfxJN3-1

The Academy

The Academy will experience a big day on November 10 with auditions for brass and color guard in Blue Springs, Missouri and auditions for all sections in Chino Hills, California.

FACEBOOK.COM

On 10/23/2019 at 7:59 PM, Roos_Wayne said:

I would bet a large amount of money that the Blue Coats have the most auditions.

Never heard of them...

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 12:29 PM, Cascadia said:

Cascades will hopefully have a larger turnout this year, we're offering satellite camps in Los Angeles, St. Louis, Dallas, and Portland!

I think this will come in time, but not necessarily by satellite camps.  A corps will attract members to it from across the ocean and it has much more to do with just going to those places.  

Edited by DCIat14

I used to like the idea of 1000 kids coming to an audition camp and charging $100 each.  Money maker.  I no longer like this idea, and I think its hurting smaller corps.  Have a camp, charge what it costs, have 5000 kids show up.  PLEASE recommend the kids to another program if they don't make you cut list.  Some corps already do this, thank you.  Some corps still just cut kids on Friday night and make them sit in the hallway and wait for their taxi on Sunday.....BOOOOO.

I know many kids would rather sit out the summer than march a corps that haven't been dreaming about since 9th grade.  The big corps could change this perception, but there doesn't seem to be any interest from the Top 12 in building the activity.  The DCI arms race doesn't have room for the weak.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jonnyboy said:I know many kids would rather sit out the summer than march a corps that haven't been dreaming about since 9th grade.  The big corps could change this perception, but there doesn't seem to be any interest from the Top 12 in building the activity.  The DCI arms race doesn't have room for the weak.

I’m not aware of any organizations not recommending another organization to audition if not offered a contract. Some carry more than needed and wait too long to make final cuts which makes it difficult to find openings in other organizations right before move in’s. Don’t see this as not wanting to build the activity. 

25 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

I’m not aware of any organizations not recommending another organization to audition if not offered a contract. Some carry more than needed and wait too long to make final cuts which makes it difficult to find openings in other organizations right before move in’s. Don’t see this as not wanting to build the activity. 

Having worked with a group where we were the beneficiary of cut lists, I've seen it in multiple instances.  That is definitely an area where a more systemic approach would be much preferred to the current "hope your brass staff is on good terms with other brass staffs" philosophy.

Mike

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

what you speak of may be a sad "competitive strategy" of not fortifying other competitors?

• Thanks 1

The last several Boston Crusaders auditions I went to had 7th Regiment music and visual staff (inc the director) on site as well. They even had a mannequin set up wearing a 7th uni and shako and had recent videos playing on a monitor.  This has been going on for a few years.  In fact one of my hs trumpet players got cut by BAC and was literally introduced to the 7th folks and in fact DID march the whole season (2018) and had a great experience.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 6:23 PM, jonnyboy said:

I know many kids would rather sit out the summer than march a corps that haven't been dreaming about since 9th grade.  The big corps could change this perception, but there doesn't seem to be any interest from the Top 12 in building the activity.  The DCI arms race doesn't have room for the weak.

I was at a Cadet camp a few years back, and they went to great lengths to point out other opportunities to march drum corps to their camp attendees.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As Auditions have now begun (Cavies today in Japan, Cadets Experience at Meadowlands, etc....) how have turnouts been according to those actually present? 

Of course the corps public relations offices will bleed out twits that it's the best numbers, most talented, most amazing auditionees ever, but what's the truth for November 2019??