Auditions: Winners, Losers, Talent Agents???

On 10/28/2019 at 5:23 PM, jonnyboy said:

I used to like the idea of 1000 kids coming to an audition camp and charging $100 each.  Money maker.  I no longer like this idea, and I think its hurting smaller corps.  Have a camp, charge what it costs, have 5000 kids show up.  PLEASE recommend the kids to another program if they don't make you cut list.  Some corps already do this, thank you.  Some corps still just cut kids on Friday night and make them sit in the hallway and wait for their taxi on Sunday.....BOOOOO.

I know many kids would rather sit out the summer than march a corps that haven't been dreaming about since 9th grade.  The big corps could change this perception, but there doesn't seem to be any interest from the Top 12 in building the activity.  The DCI arms race doesn't have room for the weak.

My son made the callback camp for Bluecoats last year, but just missed the cut for a contract.  He was contacted by at least four other WC corps immediately, and ended up contracting with a fifth corps and performed on Saturday night. The Coats cut list was obviously shared far & wide.

• Like 2

Do the Cavies do auditions in Chicago (or Illinois) anymore or is it too dangerous? I do note their world tour of staff for several auditions..., rivals BD it seems.

Is Crown the only remaining "local" corps as they seem to do auditions only within a walk from their home office? (Unless one counts Avon H.S., chuckle.)

Isn't audition season great:  Temperatures in Denver climbed past 70 degrees (21 Celsius) over the weekend only to fall to 14 degrees (-10 Celsius) early Monday."

Edited by xandandl

• 2 weeks later...

Today, Nov. 22nd is the feast day of St. Cecilia, patroness of musicians. (Yup, brass players & percussionists including string players as she's normally pictured with a harp or a string lyre. Brass players probably have two as so often the Archangel Gabriel is featured with his clarion bugle.)

Best of everything for all auditioning this weekend.

based on some stuff i saw on social media, Surf had 200+ kids show up

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...