COMMONWEALTH vs GEORGE HOPKINS 10-23-19

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I've said before that he probably benefited from being so widely disliked.

1 hour ago, tesmusic said:

Sadly, I agree. I think that will actually work in his favor. I wonder if his lawyers will use sites like DCP, Reddit etc. to show patterns of general angst against him. 

It’s hard to pinpoint an exact time when GH went from being a young, innovative maverick to a lightning rod. I started hearing things around the move from Garfield to Bergen County and the K-Mart days. I started hearing more things as Boston Crusaders began to rise which never sat well with him, long before BAC recruited staff members. From what I understand he did not feel the love for Crown either and I don’t think too many folks associated with Crossmen would contribute to build a statue in his honor.

Prosecutors will only want to deal with evidence. If the defense tries to present everyone hates me and I am being framed, he’ll lose. Reddit, DCP would not help at all. The days when GH had his following would make him look young and charismatic which are also traits of a manipulator, and in the days he was more controversial, it would make him look like someone to be feared. Regarding what has been posted since, has there ever been an accused sexual predator who has not been pilloried? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tesmusic said:

I’d be curious to see how GH has presented himself to his attorneys. Probably as the victim of negativity by so many in the activity.

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/lehighvalley/former-allentown-cadets-director-issues-statement-claiming-innocence/article_269983d7-e3f7-510a-a562-ae0f5bf644c3.html

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I forgot about that.  

yeah the whole alumni vendetta angle. Not a winner IMO

• Haha 1

I’d wager it’s something on the terms of “There’s so many against me they’re working together to get rid of me. See! They even mad an animated movie about What is Drum Corps? that used my name more than my own momma did!”

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I forgot about that.  

Don't forget, he would be much more open with his own legal team than he would be in a public pronunciation. I would guess that the article might shape his defense to some degree, but how much? Depends on what else this team may have as a defense to create "reasonable doubt", which is all he needs, don't forget.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

It requires a lot of imagination-stretching. 

It was actually pretty much out there. Many alumni got calls and e mails from a select few. Does it change anything as far as what he was accused of? I doubt it

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

It was actually pretty much out there. Many alumni got calls and e mails from a select few. Does it change anything as far as what he was accused of? I doubt it

We should not forget what the charges are as well...two women who worked for YEA in 2008 and 2010. How much...if any...of the rest is permitted into evidence to establish a pattern of prior acts is up to the judge, same as with the Cosby case. 

• Like 2