COMMONWEALTH vs GEORGE HOPKINS 10-23-19

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

The statue of limitations laws have dramatically changed from state to state regarding sex abuse really because of the Roman Catholic abuse scandals years ago. A lot of priests got off based on previous laws because of that flaw. But they are changing and rightfully so. To me these cases should be treated like murder cases. If you rape someone there should not be a time frame of abuse especially if children are involved. 

I agree on that, for sure. But the prosecutors can only act based on the laws in effect at the time they file their cases.

I can see some of the older accusations in other jurisdictions possibly creating new "problems" for GH, especially here in NJ, where I would guess a lot of the very old accusations happened.

47 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I agree on that, for sure. But the prosecutors can only act based on the laws in effect at the time they file their cases.

I can see some of the older accusations in other jurisdictions possibly creating new "problems" for GH, especially here in NJ, where I would guess a lot of the very old accusations happened.

I totally agree with you. He’s been accused of major crime and has the right to defend it. We all have rights for this. Due process. As much as I want to throw the book at him he has the right to defend that. We have that and should have that. It’s now in the hands of the court. 

New Sit Com...."Whatabout George?" The further adventures of disgraced drum corps director.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, KeithHall said:

New Sit Com...."Whatabout George?" The further adventures of disgraced drum corps director.

I'm sorry Keith, there is no comedy here.  This is sad for all involved.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MikeD said:

The limit is why there was only a single charge in the Cosby case. The statute in effect was getting very close to the date, which is why the charges happened when they did. 

Also part of the reason there are only two women in Hopkins' case. Some were not in PA, and others were too old. 

Some women did not live in PA and other women were too old?

I didn't know age limitations were in place in PA.  Apparently, sex harassment can't happen to old women?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I'm sorry Keith, there is no comedy here.  This is sad for all involved.

I agree BUT

1 hour ago, garfield said:

I didn't know age limitations were in place in PA.  Apparently, sex harassment can't happen to old women?

I recommend watching “Unbelievable”  on Netflix.   The sexual assaulter had no “type” besides preying on women who live alone.   One survivor was 72.   Another was 18.   

On 10/25/2019 at 11:19 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

Sometimes the defense at discovery requests a whole bunch of stuff they actually don't intend to use.  What they are usually doing is trying find some evidence that the prosecution had, but (for whatever reason) did not share with them as part of discovery.  If they find something, they then try to get the case thrown out due to prosecutorial misconduct.

And if the defense doesn't make these efforts & there is a conviction, the convicted party (GH in this case) could try for an appeal based on ineffective use of counsel.  (Defense attorneys hate ineffective use of counsel - it is bad for business & the bottom line).

No way to know if this is what is going on.  We will have to see how this all plays out.

Absolutely wrong. Read the filings. They are public records. Call the courthouse and ask for copies.

Hopkins' attorneys want the tapes because they want to probe inconsistencies between what is on the tapes and what the victim told the police. There is NOTHING here dealing with bad acts by the prosecutor. This post should be removed.

Also, ineffective assistance claims are so, so, so rare. There is virtually no way to win them and no one ever brings them.

(Source: I'm a real-life, honest-to-goodness practicing attorney.)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, FlamMan said:

I have a question for the Lawyers on this board, is there no statute of limitations? I always thought that there was a 7 year rule or something to that effect?

There is a statute of limitations, but how the actual time is calculated can be very convoluted. In many cases, the statute is "tolled" (paused) while one or both parties are not in the state, because if you're accused of a crime, you shouldn't get to go live in Europe, let the clock run out, and then come back. (Just an example.)

If this case were outside the PA statute, the defense team would have moved to dismiss on those grounds immediately. They have not done that to date.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, garfield said:

No, the cases were too old, not the victims!!!!

• Thanks 1