COMMONWEALTH vs GEORGE HOPKINS 10-23-19

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

The page for today on the link says this:

Scheduling Order - Status Conference 3/5/20

Not sure if that means it is pushed to next March or not.

Anyone who's been following national news lately knows that legal proceedings move very slowly. Today a figure of some note was sentenced; this was 26 months after he was first charged and 22 months after he pleaded guilty to those charges. Mind you, there's no indications that George Hopkins is going to be given the opportunity to testify against anyone else (much less in multiple trials), so it shouldn't drag on that long.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

49 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I guess the the 6th Amendment "right to a speedy trial" doesn't apply to the victims.   

It depends on what you're comparing to. For example, the case is unlikely to to be in the courts for 62 years.

Thellusson v Woodford.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Anyone who's been following national news lately knows that legal proceedings move very slowly. Today a figure of some note was sentenced; this was 26 months after he was first charged and 22 months after he pleaded guilty to those charges. Mind you, there's no indications that George Hopkins is going to be given the opportunity to testify against anyone else (much less in multiple trials), so it shouldn't drag on that long.

I have predicted in past that we will know DCI 2020 Champion before GH trial occurs.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

I guess the the 6th Amendment "right to a speedy trial" doesn't apply to the victims.   

No, it doesn't.....

"In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence."

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MikeD said:

No, it doesn't.....

"In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence."

Since we're talking about the finer legal points: what about spectral evidence? I was reading today that witnesses in the Salem Witch Trials could testify about statements made by apparitions or received in their dreams. That's not still a thing, right?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

from the last available news story, it sounds like what today was about:

The judge did not issue a ruling from the bench on Bergstrom’s motion. Hopkins attended Wednesday’s proceeding but did not address the court. The prosecution on Wednesday did not take a position on the defense’s request.

The judge set a Dec. 17 hearing on the defense’s motion to dismiss the charges. Assistant District Attorney Matthew Falk declined to comment afterward on whether the two sides were discussing a plea deal.

•  
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Since we're talking about the finer legal points: what about spectral evidence? I was reading today that witnesses in the Salem Witch Trials could testify about statements made by apparitions or received in their dreams. That's not still a thing, right?

You're trying to get me kicked off of DCP, aren't you?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

from the last available news story, it sounds like what today was about:

The judge did not issue a ruling from the bench on Bergstrom’s motion. Hopkins attended Wednesday’s proceeding but did not address the court. The prosecution on Wednesday did not take a position on the defense’s request.

The judge set a Dec. 17 hearing on the defense’s motion to dismiss the charges. Assistant District Attorney Matthew Falk declined to comment afterward on whether the two sides were discussing a plea deal.

•  

So the judge could have made an evidentiary ruling at yesterday's Dec 17th hearing?  All the info we can ascertain from the court docket is that a status hearing was scheduled for March 5, 2020?  In the spirit of Court TV, I would renew my subscription if FloMarching would cover the trial & provide a live stream.    

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

LOLOLOL!  No more a thing than witches are!

You're funny, but that's not the way it is today, it's not the way it was two weeks or two months ago, and it really ticked off the witches during those trials.

The parallels are uncanny.

Edited by garfield