COMMONWEALTH vs GEORGE HOPKINS 10-23-19

20 hours ago, Spinning said:

I know where he lives now and it’s not all that far away, so I consider it local. 

Also, there has been a few follow up articles in the paper since the story broke here and there, done by Jacci and another reporter. 

I’m hoping that when the trial starts enough people show up to get the local press (Jacci or whomever) to show up there.  

Quiet a few local alumni said they would be there if at all possible as well.

if schedules lined up, i'd attend and cover for DCW. I did when Five Star sued Herco.

but the Allentown paper isn't on the radar here. that 90 minute drive may as well be 10 hours in terms of what gets paid attention to. trust me, he moves about town without showing any signs of knowing or caring what people who know may think or feel

Edited by Jeff Ream

On 12/17/2019 at 6:35 PM, keystone3ply said:

I guess the the 6th Amendment "right to a speedy trial" doesn't apply to the victims.   

A timely post?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, MikeD said:

True. Of course. Sorry for the mis-typing.

The point holds, IMO, that the type of plea GH might accept would be impacted by how many of the earlier victims would be permitted to testify. Hopefully it is a lot of them. 

I hope everyone is disposed. 😁

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

if schedules lined up, i'd attend and cover for DCW. I did when Five Star sued Herco.

but the Allentown paper isn't on the radar here. that 90 minute drive may as well be 10 hours in terms of what gets paid attention to. trust me, he moves about town withut showing any signs of knowing or caring what people who know may think or feel

I’m hoping that will all change when the trial starts.  I guess we shall see.

7 hours ago, Spinning said:

Doubt it based on other cases with defendants that live in the area. Trial not taking place locally, none of the things he’s accused of took place locally and gh was not raised in the area. And if I read it right gh lives in someone else’s house so doesn’t even own property in the area. And drum corps fell off here so no real interest in that area.

If found guilty might be two paragraphs with “local man found guilt” with bare info. 

if Patriot was under the old ownership I might have hope it would be reported. Under the 3 days a week conglomerate no...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Doubt it based on other cases with defendants that live in the area. Trial not taking place locally, none of the things he’s accused of took place locally and gh was not raised in the area. And if I read it right gh lives in someone else’s house so doesn’t even own property in the area. And drum corps fell off here so no real interest in that area.

If found guilty might be two paragraphs with “local man found guilt” with bare info. 

if Patriot was under the old ownership I might have hope it would be reported. Under the 3 days a week conglomerate no...

Well, myself and others are going to do their best to make sure it’s not buried.  We also will be contacting the local news and RAINN when the trial starts to remind them that this ex-prominent Allentown resident is FINALLY on trial.

Edited by Spinning
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Spinning said:

Well, myself and others are going to do their best to make sure it’s not buried.  We also will be contacting the local news and RAINN when the trial starts to remind them that this ex-prominent Allentown resident is FINALLY on trial.

When I say local I mean Harrisburg area. If I were contacting Harrisburg media I’d push the “he lives here and has worked with youth” angle and not he’s from another city.

I assumed you were talking about Harrisburg area as you were responding to Jeff. 99.9999999% sure he was talking about Harrisburg media.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

9 hours ago, MikeD said:

True. Of course. Sorry for the mis-typing.

The point holds, IMO, that the type of plea GH might accept would be impacted by how many of the earlier victims would be permitted to testify. Hopefully it is a lot of them. 

I have an acquaintance who I was stationed with in USAF some years back.  When he retired, he became a schoolteacher & got into a relationship w/ a 16-yr old student.  Long sordid story short, he cooperated w/ investigation, pled guilty, & got 10-yrs probation plus registered sex offender.

Granted, this is a different jurisdiction & in the GH case it was forcible (vs ''consensual', although a 16-YO cannot legally consent), with 2 victims in the inditement & many more uncharged.

But, in the era of 'Me too' I don't think any prosecutor  would agree to a plea that did not include prison time.

Just my Guardhouse Lawyer thoughts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spinning said:

I have a friend who is going to attend the trial (if there is one) when he can and with his permission, I’ll relay the details here.  I don’t think he’ll mind. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Spinning said:

based on the Facebook drama i saw about the group he started years ago and just got rolling again to spew his views, I doubt it.

• Like 1