COMMONWEALTH vs GEORGE HOPKINS 10-23-19

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Only thing I can think of would be cut down on how easy it is for the accused to file appeal after appeal after appeal. But that could cause problems elsewhere.

Knew someone caught in a sting as a “little fish”. The two “big fish” kept appealing and everyone (and their lawyer$) had to show up for every appeal hearing. Finally the little guys took a plea bargain of probation as they were going broke on attorney fees

Yeah. While I feel confident about what Hopkins did and what he deserves, I also feel it's absolutely true that the system is set up to the advantage of the police and prosecution and not the accused. (One of countless examples: the police can lie to you, but you can't lie to them, and even if your lie doesn't impede their investigation, you can be punished for it if it *might* impede an investigation. And I have seen many former prosecutors and former police give this advice: *never* talk to the cops without your lawyer.) And yet, the crime clearance rate is terrible. Only about 50% of murders ever get solved. It's even worse for less serious crimes. It seems our systems are designed less for preventing crime or catching criminals than for prosecuting and punishing the accused.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, George Dixon said:

So much for speedy trials- no wonder women don’t come forward/ you get dragged through a years long nightmare 

and the pandemic ate 3+ months

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yes - but the way I read it the judge said 'no' to playing the full video, as well as 'no' to dropping one of the charges.

yup. but i honestly think the full video would #### him further

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

yup. but i honestly think the full video would #### him further

Probably. But when guilty people get backed into a corner, they'll desperately grab for anything. 

On 6/28/2020 at 3:06 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

Looking at the 2 main news outlets covering the story I don't see any updates.

Twenty years ago, probably every such twist and turn in the case would have resulted in a new article, or more than one. Local media has just been crushed in the past decade and a half, partly because so many outlets had fallen into the hands of investors who saw them as a license to print money and partly because of predatory practices by Facebook (and to a lesser extent Google) who more or less forced outlets to give away content for free, and then to "pivot to video" (what a boondoggle that was). The once huge local paper in my neck of the woods now has fewer than one-tenth the number of reporters it did in the 1990s. We'd know a lot more about the case now, and we might have known about it sooner, if local media was thriving. Lots of juicy scoops from sources public and private, probably including Hopkins himself leaking to a reporter who convinced him that he was sympathetic to his position. (A tip to news readers: when you see a reporter credit "a source familiar with X's thinking" or something like that, nine times out of ten that means X himself is the source.) 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I have a couple of friends who are New Jersey judges.

They're being told not to expect being able to have jury trials till December/January.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Probably. But when guilty people get backed into a corner, they'll desperately grab for anything. 

well let's be honest. when your whole defense is "angry alumni put these women up to it", well.....you'll fight til you can't.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2020 at 1:09 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

Possible actions of a guilty party "backed into a corner":

1) Place the blame of "leadership" removal on disgruntled alumni & staff for the "coup" of said organization.

2) Review & relive your "leadership" of said organization on social media to receive positive reinforcement comments for your "ego".*

3) Find "religion" displaying a "spiritual turnaround" & "proclaim the gospel" on said social media sites.**

*Evidence of extreme "narcissism".
**Please note that this is not meant to be a negative comment on "religion" nor a "
spiritual judgment" of said party.  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

55 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Possible actions of a guilty party "backed into a corner":

1) Place the blame of "leadership" removal on disgruntled alumni & staff for the "coup" of said organization.

2) Review & relive your "leadership" of said organization on social media to receive positive reinforcement comments for your "ego".

3) Find "religion" displaying a "spiritual turnaround" & "proclaim the gospel" on said social media sites.*

*Please note that this is not meant to be a negative comment on "religion" nor a "spiritual judgment" of said party.  

Don’t forget the abusive partner defense: They would not be around (they would be nothing) without me so that makes everything else ok.

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2020 at 1:29 AM, Jeff Ream said:

It’s been years just like the Cosby one was before the virus 

Edited by George Dixon