COMMONWEALTH vs GEORGE HOPKINS 10-23-19

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

a smart businessman wouldnt put that on facebook

Smart and facebook do not go together. People who are on it should be aware that it is a dumpster fire of hate and vanity. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

FB is calm and polite compared to REDDIT.

or twitter

• Thanks 2

On 8/4/2020 at 10:55 PM, MikeD said:

Both sites are increasingly being overrun by nuts, like the cult that believes that John F. Kennedy Jr. faked his 1999 airplane death and has since been secretly working to identify the members of underground child trafficking rings, work which supposedly is imminently to result in the mass arrest of hundreds or thousands of famous personalities, who will be judged, so the true believers say, by military tribunals.

No, I don't get it, either. And mind you, they've been saying this outcome is imminent for a couple years now. Like all millennial cults, it takes a lot of disappointment and a lot of time for members to be shaken from their faith. And sometimes they never give it up. Just ask Jim Jones's followers. Oh wait, you can't. (Did you that it wasn't Kool-aid they drank but Flavor-aid? I only learned that today.) I'm not making this up: there is such a cult that believes that nonsense, and it has a lot of followers. And thus to bring this back to what you were discussing -- the quality of comments on Facebook -- I note that three of the top ten stories on Facebook yesterday reached that status thanks to those people.

Edit (Aug. 15): And now this cult has graduated to actually kidnapping children, supposedly to "rescue" them from their parents.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

13 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Malignant narcissism, perhaps?

His behavior has always fit the clinical definition of Narcissistic Personality Disorder.  It's been said that all leaders have some narcissistic qualities.  
But then some are just way over the top.  What you see in his behavior over the years is a classic example of the latter.    

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

or twitter

Does he have a twitter account as well?  Need to check on my wife's account.  I stopped at FB but she seems to love twitter & Instagram.
I know you can connect them where it's basically one account & items will post to all three.  One of my favorite scenes:   

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

5 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Both sites are increasingly being overrun by nuts, like the cult that believes that John F. Kennedy Jr. faked his 1999 airplane death and has since been secretly working to identify the members of underground child trafficking rings, work which supposedly is imminently to result in the mass arrest of hundreds or thousands of famous personalities, who will be judged, so the true believers say, by military tribunals.

No, I don't get it, either. And mind you, they've been saying this outcome is imminent for a couple years now. Like all millennial cults, it takes a lot of disappointment and a lot of time for members to be shaken from their faith. And sometimes they never give it up. Just ask Jim Jones's followers. Oh wait, you can't. (Did you that it wasn't Kool-aid they drank but Flavor-aid? I only learned that today.) I'm not making this up: there is such a cult that believes that nonsense, and it has a lot of followers. And thus to bring this back to what you were discussing -- the quality of comments on Facebook -- I note that three of the top ten stories on Facebook yesterday reached that status thanks to those people.

I stick to myself and my family on FB but, I'm curious, what WERE the top three stories on FB yesterday to which you're referring?

I'm not that literate on FB so can someone else validate this contention of yesterday's top-3 stories?  And I'm hopeful that at least one of them is related to drum corps or GH's case or even about the PA court system.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Malignant narcissism, perhaps?

I hope you meant the "with malice" definition of malignant because, if you meant the "rapidly infectious" version, I'd like to know: 

1. the actual number of posters/followers/Hop-ites who are still drinking his tea, and

2. if any of them are still employed in the activity and, potentially, still zealous about his policies and visions of and for the activity

I, personally, hold GH PRIMARILY responsible for the slow degradation of the activity (yes, I've heard all of the "It was voted on! arguments) throughout his long tenure as a "senior experienced" leader of the activity (and I recognize ALL of the other directors who, at the time, agreed to ride in his posse).  Therefore I, again personally, believe that any such zealots should be "kept closer" so to be watchful of any primary motivations of repeating G7-era prognostications about the direction the activity should now go to survive and emerge strong and growing.

If the phrase "Never let a good crisis go to waste" is prevalent among the decision-makers of the activity, a wave of enthusiasm to just "Do SOMETHING!" could very easily grow to a movement to grasp on to G7-era visions.   Like some are talking about now that requiring a splintering or dividing the activity based on who can travel and who "shouldn't" (removing decision-making from corps leadership) and who deserves gate and who doesn't.  And DCI's role in the future, if any.

These decisions should not be driven by any GH-esque "ghosts" that linger.  Even Cadets seem committed to excise most things legacy-Cadets to form their own brand-new identity and M.O..  I suggest DCI distance itself as well from all things "legacy GH", including his old visions of drum corps' survival.

Vigilance by all and strong leadership are warranted until the "crisis" passes, IMO, and I'm hearing Membership Chair Stuart Pompel is doing a great job of keeping the remaining drum corps optimistic and focused on the silver lining of new possibilities instead of on the potential torrent of the dark clouds of 2020.  That optimism and focus is strong medicine against the creep of hubris, greed, and selfishness we saw during the G7 "discussions".

Edited by garfield
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, MikeD said:

Maybe I’m just hitting YT more with the internet ready TV (love that bigger screen) but that’s getting more out there. I’m a history buff so was checking WWII Victory Thru Air Power movie from that era. One vid had a rebuttal to the “bomb them into submission” idea of VTAP. Started out with ideas that I’ve heard before and calm.... within a few minutes “the Illuminati doesn’t want you to know this”.

With all the corps related vids who knows what might be found....