COMMONWEALTH vs GEORGE HOPKINS 10-23-19

2 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I’ve never gotten any of these. Maybe they have sophisticated algorithms that project our likelihood of believing crazy things based on what we have posted in the past.  😛 

Lmao belong to a few auction email lists and one bases “recommendations” on what links you went to before. Every bleeping email I get “we recommend “ for earth moving and farm equipment. Only clicked those links because I wanted to see what people were willing to pay (earth movers) and checking for an in law (looking for a tractor).

51 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lmao belong to a few auction email lists and one bases “recommendations” on what links you went to before. Every bleeping email I get “we recommend “ for earth moving and farm equipment. Only clicked those links because I wanted to see what people were willing to pay (earth movers) and checking for an in law (looking for a tractor).

I hear you.  I bought underwear online one time.  One time.  

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I hear you.  I bought underwear online one time.  One time.  

I dunno. I keep seeing ads for a box of awesome! 

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

There's one advertiser who pre-video ads I keep encountering on Youtube, also cultish in its messaging (which is however, more subtle and completely different from the message of the Facebook-dominant group I mentioned) and partly funded, curiously enough, by a heavily promoted traveling theatrical troupe that puts on extravagant spectacles (think Blast! without instruments, or Cirque du soleil) laced with bizarre propaganda.

I keep getting the one with the button in the corner that says "Skip Ads".

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, garfield said:

I hope you meant the "with malice" definition of malignant because, if you meant the "rapidly infectious" version, I'd like to know: 

1. the actual number of posters/followers/Hop-ites who are still drinking his tea, and

2. if any of them are still employed in the activity and, potentially, still zealous about his policies and visions of and for the activity

I, personally, hold GH PRIMARILY responsible for the slow degradation of the activity (yes, I've heard all of the "It was voted on! arguments) throughout his long tenure as a "senior experienced" leader of the activity (and I recognize ALL of the other directors who, at the time, agreed to ride in his posse).  Therefore I, again personally, believe that any such zealots should be "kept closer" so to be watchful of any primary motivations of repeating G7-era prognostications about the direction the activity should now go to survive and emerge strong and growing.

If the phrase "Never let a good crisis go to waste" is prevalent among the decision-makers of the activity, a wave of enthusiasm to just "Do SOMETHING!" could very easily grow to a movement to grasp on to G7-era visions.   Like some are talking about now that requiring a splintering or dividing the activity based on who can travel and who "shouldn't" (removing decision-making from corps leadership) and who deserves gate and who doesn't.  And DCI's role in the future, if any.

These decisions should not be driven by any GH-esque "ghosts" that linger.  Even Cadets seem committed to excise most things legacy-Cadets to form their own brand-new identity and M.O..  I suggest DCI distance itself as well from all things "legacy GH", including his old visions of drum corps' survival.

Vigilance by all and strong leadership are warranted until the "crisis" passes, IMO, and I'm hearing Membership Chair Stuart Pompel is doing a great job of keeping the remaining drum corps optimistic and focused on the silver lining of new possibilities instead of on the potential torrent of the dark clouds of 2020.  That optimism and focus is strong medicine against the creep of hubris, greed, and selfishness we saw during the G7 "discussions".

now they just have to do better against sexual predators and those who act inappropriately, as stories keep surfacing 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

They could all be Rocket Mortgage ads....

when you absolutely, positively don't need to close on time

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Actually, Cadets did exactly that (10 American Legion national titles before GH was ever involved).

Maybe they only know drum corps after 80's? 

Not sure about bookface as I do not participate in such trivial areas of the interweb. But it appears some here do get bombarded by add's of some type or the other. 

Edited by E3D

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

now they just have to do better against sexual predators and those who act inappropriately, as stories keep surfacing 

You blew completely past the point of my post.

The issue is GH "ghosts" that hang around and influence decision-making by boards/reps to DCI.

Your old tripe is still that; DCI doesn't manage corps, it manages what corps must do to be members of DCI.

Imagine:  "Rule No. 1:  To be qualified for DCI membership, said drum corps does not employ sexual predators."

Check.

Then what?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

You blew completely past the point of my post.

The issue is GH "ghosts" that hang around and influence decision-making by boards/reps to DCI.

Your old tripe is still that; DCI doesn't manage corps, it manages what corps must do to be members of DCI.

Imagine:  "Rule No. 1:  To be qualified for DCI membership, said drum corps does not employ sexual predators."

Check.

Then what?

ghosts of many stripes need to be gone....and well, he is part of many of those ghosts including what we discussed.

Rule #1 is dont do to the kids what happens to your rule #1. it's really not a hard concept to grasp. and until it's rubbed out, his ghost on this issue will cloud forever, because he is the most visible ghost on this. now like Jedi with the blue hue, but still.

and yes, his influence is felt elsewhere, but it's not like he held a gun to their heads to vote. In fact some said no, then caved anyways.

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

FB is getting scarier though. I was just thinking of buying something, and up pop adds on FB for that exact item!  🤯

• Haha 1