COMMONWEALTH vs GEORGE HOPKINS 10-23-19

3 hours ago, garfield said:

The issue is GH "ghosts" that hang around and influence decision-making by boards/reps to DCI.

I am not so sure that some of these are GH "ghosts". Actually, while GH was the point person, my own feeling is that there were others behind him who were really the brains behind the changes, especially a director out in California. GH took the flak, but I don't see him being the originator of a lot of the changes.

Of course, I happen to agree with just about all of them, so take it for what it's worth.

33 minutes ago, MikeD said:

FB is getting scarier though. I was just thinking of buying something, and up pop adds on FB for that exact item!  🤯

There's a video of Vienna Teng explaining how she came up with "The Hymn of Acxiom" and a friend with access to a powerful marketing database and how "it creeped her out that her husband was in this database with all his favorite magazine subscriptions, and the stuff that he'd bought recently, and stuff that he thought about buying but hadn't bought yet."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

I am not so sure that some of these are GH "ghosts". Actually, while GH was the point person, my own feeling is that there were others behind him who were really the brains behind the changes, especially a director out in California. GH took the flak, but I don't see him being the originator of a lot of the changes.

Of course, I happen to agree with just about all of them, so take it for what it's worth.

agreed. he didnt hold a gun to their heads

• Like 1

5 hours ago, garfield said:

You blew completely past the point of my post.

The issue is GH "ghosts" that hang around and influence decision-making by boards/reps to DCI.

Your old tripe is still that; DCI doesn't manage corps, it manages what corps must do to be members of DCI.

Imagine:  "Rule No. 1:  To be qualified for DCI membership, said drum corps does not employ sexual predators."

Check.

Then what?

allow me to elaborate more. in discussing my circuits "season" with a director, I mentioned how their new school and facility was awesome and would be a great place to host a corps. Now he doesnt follow DCi like we do, hell he doesnt even do social media. But his exact words were "after that Allentown thing about the abuse, no school in this county would ever host a corps again."

and that ghost will hurt the activity for a long time, and add everything Covid to it...yeah. 

• Sad 3

16 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

They don't relate to Hopkins or drum corps; they relate only as to the ancillary comments that MikeD and others made about the quality of comments on social media. As such, I won't get into the details, other than to say that this cult seizes on what to normal observers would appear to be anodyne news items, and they imbue those stories with magical significance. A Google search (or presumably Facebook itself, for those, unlike myself, who have accounts there), should turn up lists of a given day's top stories, for those who want to dig into such things.

Thanks @N.E. Brigand. I picked up a new word, anodyne. I like how it looks.

9 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

There's a video of Vienna Teng explaining how she came up with "The Hymn of Acxiom" and a friend with access to a powerful marketing database and how "it creeped her out that her husband was in this database with all his favorite magazine subscriptions, and the stuff that he'd bought recently, and stuff that he thought about buying but hadn't bought yet."

Spooky what some are willing to give up just to get fast search results.

Somebody hears you. you know that. you know that.
Somebody hears you. you know that inside.
Someone is learning the colors of all your moods, to
(Say just the right thing and) show that you're understood.
Here you're known.
Leave your life open. you don't have. you don't have.
Leave your life open. you don't have to hide.
Someone is gathering every crumb you drop, these
(Mindless decisions and) moments you long forgot.
Keep them all.
Let our formulas find your soul.
We'll divine your artesian source (in your mind),
Marshal feed and force (our machines will)
To design you a perfect love
Or (better still) a perfect lust.
O how glorious, glorious: a brand new need is born.
Now we possess you. you'll own that. you'll own that.
Now we possess you. you'll own that in time.
Now we will build you an endlessly upward world,
(Reach in your pocket) embrace you for all you're worth.
Is that wrong?
Isn't this what you want?
Amen.

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

agreed. he didnt hold a gun to their heads

Neither did the Pied Piper.

Maybe we can call his posse-riders gullible and maybe we can call them compliant.  Everyone knows who they are, and several have said to me personally that they were blinded by his years of "leadership", and blocked from speaking up because of the collective weight of his posse.  Many have said to me that they USED him as the trial balloon he loved to be.

Doesn't matter.  GH was the head of the snake even if others at the time were the spine.

Unlike a snake, if you cut a worm in half, you'll get two worms.  If there are other worms promoting those same GH beliefs, they need to be kept close.

And today picked “just for you” in the auction site.... Bobcat mini earth mover (currently bid $21k), iron anvil on a tree stump and Pizza business in Scranton (I clicked a previous business for sale to see where it was located). 

Sometimes this is just funny....

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

Neither did the Pied Piper.

Maybe we can call his posse-riders gullible and maybe we can call them compliant.  Everyone knows who they are, and several have said to me personally that they were blinded by his years of "leadership", and blocked from speaking up because of the collective weight of his posse.  Many have said to me that they USED him as the trial balloon he loved to be.

Doesn't matter.  GH was the head of the snake even if others at the time were the spine.

Unlike a snake, if you cut a worm in half, you'll get two worms.  If there are other worms promoting those same GH beliefs, they need to be kept close.

Ok you’ve complained about this and people who don’t take it seriously. Now what are your suggestions to help the situation. Or are you in gripe mode only?

• Confused 1