COMMONWEALTH vs GEORGE HOPKINS 10-23-19

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

allow me to elaborate more. in discussing my circuits "season" with a director, I mentioned how their new school and facility was awesome and would be a great place to host a corps. Now he doesnt follow DCi like we do, hell he doesnt even do social media. But his exact words were "after that Allentown thing about the abuse, no school in this county would ever host a corps again."

and that ghost will hurt the activity for a long time, and add everything Covid to it...yeah. 

Your point, I believe, is that the activity needs to understand how one, very bad apple can negatively impact the whole activity.  I absolutely agree, and I think the directors generally show that understanding, if mainly at the level of taking care of host facilities and the "public face".  Add in that the directors are constantly and actively discussing that impact.

When those directors gave DCI the power and responsibility to develop and police certain standards for admission to DCI, the central office was very proactive and productive in those efforts.  When the BoD gave DCI the power to take down drum corps as a result of public contentions, it acted prudently quick even as I understand that some consider it failed action for being too slow in response.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok you’ve complained about this and people who don’t take it seriously. Now what are your suggestions to help the situation. Or are you in gripe mode only?

Already made the point, Jim.  "Never let a good crisis go to waste".  Be vigilant in such times.

"Complained"?  "Gripe"?  Hard for me to understand how you got to those conclusions (I'm doing neither, thankyouverymuch), and I wonder if you're just projecting.

Has anyone looked at those on GH's FB page congratulating him who might still be actively promoting actions and decisions of the activity?  Might be illuminating to those who do.

Edited by garfield

13 minutes ago, garfield said:

Already made the point, Jim.  "Never let a good crisis go to waste".  Be vigilant in such times.

"Complained"?  "Gripe"?  Hard for me to understand how you got to those conclusions (I'm doing neither, thankyouverymuch), and I wonder if you're just projecting.

Has anyone looked at those on GH's FB page congratulating him who might still be actively promoting actions and decisions of the activity?  Might be illuminating to those who do.

I don’t do FB anymore so no idea what he can be congratulated about. Sucking out what $$$$ he has for lawyer fees maybe. 

As for projecting.... is that the new response when you don’t like what is said.... weak imo

Edited by JimF-LowBari

19 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I don’t do FB anymore so no idea what he can be congratulated about. Sucking out what $$$$ he has for lawyer fees maybe. 

As for projecting.... is that the new response when you don’t like what is said.... weak imo

It's not new, Jim, but why are you picking a fight with me?

PM'd, if you care.

25 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So my post doesn't apply to you, but maybe you have friends who do FB who might give you some info.

My point is exactly that FB and other platforms are places where radical ideas are fomented, and the drum corps activity would, IMO, do well to understand who the minions are that might propose "solutions" to the current crisis that ring hauntingly close to the ideas fomented by GH when he crafted the G7's arguments.

Maybe those ideas' time has come.  Maybe people won't be surprised when they resurface or are actually voted on.  Or even bothered.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, garfield said:

It's not new, Jim, but why are you picking a fight with me?

PM'd, if you care.

For everyone else’s benefit I asked Garfield a question, wasn’t picking a fight....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

11 hours ago, MikeD said:

I am not so sure that some of these are GH "ghosts". Actually, while GH was the point person, my own feeling is that there were others behind him who were really the brains behind the changes, especially a director out in California. GH took the flak, but I don't see him being the originator of a lot of the changes.

Of course, I happen to agree with just about all of them, so take it for what it's worth.

Interesting, and me, too.  The second half of that "proposal" (or "discussion paper" they now call it) looked to me, to be MUCH more professionally produced, if not thought out.

I always considered the stark differences in the two, primary men making the proposal and how they each respectively run their organizations to be evident in the two parts of the proposal.

I was not against all of the ideas proffered therein.  I was just against throwing the "minor league" to the curb so that the "major league" could keep all the marbles.  Shockingly, those ideas are still being suggested as the single, viable solution to the seeming "death knell" the activity now faces.

17 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I keep getting the one with the button in the corner that says "Skip Ads".

Try Ghostery.  I don't recommend it because it clips out the ads on DCP, but I love it on every other site.  Page loads are factors faster without waiting for ads and vids.

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Your point, I believe, is that the activity needs to understand how one, very bad apple can negatively impact the whole activity.  I absolutely agree, and I think the directors generally show that understanding, if mainly at the level of taking care of host facilities and the "public face".  Add in that the directors are constantly and actively discussing that impact.

When those directors gave DCI the power and responsibility to develop and police certain standards for admission to DCI, the central office was very proactive and productive in those efforts.  When the BoD gave DCI the power to take down drum corps as a result of public contentions, it acted prudently quick even as I understand that some consider it failed action for being too slow in response.

Schopenhauer’s law of entropy:  Add a spoon of wine to a bucket of sewage and you have sewage. Add a spoon of sewage to a bucket of wine and you have sewage. 

8 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Schopenhauer’s law of entropy:  Add a spoon of wine to a bucket of sewage and you have sewage. Add a spoon of sewage to a bucket of wine and you have sewage. 

"Non merda dove mangi"

Funny, that's both the easiest thing to do and is always destructive in the end.

Familiarity breeds contempt.