COMMONWEALTH vs GEORGE HOPKINS 10-23-19

5 hours ago, garfield said:

Neither did the Pied Piper.

Maybe we can call his posse-riders gullible and maybe we can call them compliant.  Everyone knows who they are, and several have said to me personally that they were blinded by his years of "leadership", and blocked from speaking up because of the collective weight of his posse.  Many have said to me that they USED him as the trial balloon he loved to be.

Doesn't matter.  GH was the head of the snake even if others at the time were the spine.

Unlike a snake, if you cut a worm in half, you'll get two worms.  If there are other worms promoting those same GH beliefs, they need to be kept close.

seems like Stanbury is hiring them one by one

5 hours ago, garfield said:

Your point, I believe, is that the activity needs to understand how one, very bad apple can negatively impact the whole activity.  I absolutely agree, and I think the directors generally show that understanding, if mainly at the level of taking care of host facilities and the "public face".  Add in that the directors are constantly and actively discussing that impact.

When those directors gave DCI the power and responsibility to develop and police certain standards for admission to DCI, the central office was very proactive and productive in those efforts.  When the BoD gave DCI the power to take down drum corps as a result of public contentions, it acted prudently quick even as I understand that some consider it failed action for being too slow in response.

the situation that led to this legal action is and will be far more damaging to the activity than pushing the current touring model. Why? because  even if we go back to a regional model...where do corps stay and rehearse? Schools.

as you know i ave long said the directors need more than their voice at the table making decisions. But then they have to give up power. its like politicians having the ability to never vote themselves term limits. 

15 hours ago, MikeD said:

I am not so sure that some of these are GH "ghosts". Actually, while GH was the point person, my own feeling is that there were others behind him who were really the brains behind the changes, especially a director out in California. GH took the flak, but I don't see him being the originator of a lot of the changes.

Of course, I happen to agree with just about all of them, so take it for what it's worth.

i can't disagree with this. the G7 was a collective thought, they put George in charge since he was good at taking ####....and then left him to his own initiatives...and we got what we got.

and man did they slowly start to jump ship

2 hours ago, E3D said:

This example is in one local area. It is not the entire country. 

When we take away everything Covid then what? 

if you haven't paid attention, housing has been a growing issue across the country.  this topic has been discussed at administrative level meetings across the country. You want to be the superintendent that lets a group in then reports of minor abuse of any nature come in from your property?

yeah neither do they

10 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I was thinking not in front of us (like the horizon) but something in the background waiting it’s turn again. Kinda like a tap on the shoulder and “I’m back”. Allentown (GH), Pioneer abuse mess, Crossmen and Moody, currently evolving mess with Mandarins..... more bricks in the wall ($1 to Pink Floyd) between corps and practice and show sites.

And in my area the only qualification needed to be a school board member is get more votes than the other person. So the thought of more than a few members is not “is this good for outside students” but “is this going to cost votes or be a bad campaign issue”.

I agree that DCI needs to go above and beyond to address the stigma of Hopkins, et al.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I agree that DCI needs to go above and beyond to address the stigma of Hopkins, et al.

Full agreement... too bad we don’t have 2020 to see how the hotline, etc would pan out. IMO will take a few years and boatload of tweaking but that’s true anywhere 

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

if you haven't paid attention, housing has been a growing issue across the country.  this topic has been discussed at administrative level meetings across the country. You want to be the superintendent that lets a group in then reports of minor abuse of any nature come in from your property?

yeah neither do they

If you say so. I don't believe you speak for the entire country. Once you get appointed to administrator for travel and housing at DCI maybe you can speak for the entire country's reaction to housing or hosting a corps. Until then I will not put too much into your opinion on the subject. 

1 minute ago, garfield said:

Saw him do this live at Hershey Stadium (had Corps shows there in the late 1940s to ca 2000). Think the intro was “yeah we gotta do this one”. 

5 minutes ago, E3D said:

If you say so. I don't believe you speak for the entire country. Once you get appointed to administrator for travel and housing at DCI maybe you can speak for the entire country's reaction to housing or hosting a corps. Until then I will not put too much into your opinion on the subject. 

yeah cause i don't know people nationally or involved in DCI. not like they tell me anything, like asking me to leak the g7 stuff or other things along the way. and not like i vet things before i type or anything so i am not going off of the words of one person.

i'd say my track record at putting info out here is, well, #### good.

• Like 3