COMMONWEALTH vs GEORGE HOPKINS 10-23-19

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

You have been around a long time in the activity.....How many times have you seen people forgive, change their views, etc etc for success. Whether it's silently or right out in front of everyone ( more his style ) at first, he will get offers. Although there are many who pick apart his success and who or what was behind it, whether something was done right or wrong, was something enough or not enough, there is no denying there was alot of success which draws people to that. Sad but very true.

This right here.^^^^^

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

That’s the key. 

One thing that comes to mind that even if he succeeds in the lawsuit, YEA / Cadets (I include Cadets because they were part of YEA at the time this all went down) may not have the financial ability to pay. ESP in 2020 when there is little revenue. Can’t get blood from a turnip.

May bring down both organizations in the process.

Which may have been the idea from the get-go. 

• Like 1

I wonder how large the tarps rolled out will be of his grinning mug at the end of the lawyers arguments in the civil case.   Assuming he designs the arguments and layers them toward finals.

I'm thoroughly disgusted 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

You have been around a long time in the activity.....How many times have you seen people forgive, change their views, etc etc for success. Whether it's silently or right out in front of everyone ( more his style ) at first, he will get offers. Although there are many who pick apart his success and who or what was behind it, whether something was done right or wrong, was something enough or not enough, there is no denying there was alot of success which draws people to that. Sad but very true.

Maybe you are correct; I hope not. I know in the past lots people who should not ever have been given 2nd, 3rd, 4th...etc...opportunities were given them. One reason I do not ever yearn for the "good old days" in many ways, be it band or corps.

I am hopeful that in today's world that will not happen with someone like GH. I don't see him remaining in the background with his personality. IMO there is no way any corps or band could justify hiring him for anything. If by some awful chance he is hired, even for a background role, it would come out. I don't see him lasting long in any such position. There would be a large and very public outcry against him. 

He would fail any background checks being run today, and for the foreseeable future. He'd be in his late 70's by the time he is even eligible to have his record cleared. Not to mention the information gleaned from a simple Google search on top of that.

3 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Maybe you are correct; I hope not. I know in the past lots people who should not ever have been given 2nd, 3rd, 4th...etc...opportunities were given them. One reason I do not ever yearn for the "good old days" in many ways, be it band or corps.

I am hopeful that in today's world that will not happen with someone like GH. I don't see him remaining in the background with his personality. IMO there is no way any corps or band could justify hiring him for anything. If by some awful chance he is hired, even for a background role, it would come out. I don't see him lasting long in any such position. There would be a large and very public outcry against him. 

He would fail any background checks being run today, and for the foreseeable future. He'd be in his late 70's by the time he is even eligible to have his record cleared. Not to mention the information gleaned from a simple Google search on top of that.

AS you said it was done before and could happen again, Time will also make people forget, especially with this outcome. I am a little more skeptical than you only because I have seen it dozens of times and how people justify their decisions. It has happened more than people know. As far as an outcry, again don't be surprised , that will be the time his many supporters will publicly come out., if not to defend him but defend their reasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

hell we have seen people hired that never should have been period, let alone taking into account "changed or grown"...uh Crossmen and Moody? Most of Romans hires that caused him issues?

Never underestimate what people will do for an edge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Especially when the turnip's only reliable source of revenues are now the provenance of another organization in Concord, California. 😎

and IMO I think that has been the plan...to bleed YEA to bankruptcy. Not like the organization hadn't faced that issue due to Hop before

5 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

AS you said it was done before and could happen again, Time will also make people forget, especially with this outcome. I am a little more skeptical than you only because I have seen it dozens of times and how people justify their decisions. It has happened more than people know. As far as an outcry, again don't be surprised , that will be the time his many supporters will publicly come out., if not to defend him but defend their reasons.

I’ve seen it with my own eyes.  All you have to do is read Tricia’s article A Failure to Protect.  There was one guy who they kept allowing back into drum corps despite being a registered sex offender who had been in prison. Even after her first article. I was incredulous.  With all due respect,  I think the integrity of some of these groups hires, is being grossly overestimated.  A lot of them think that the offender deserves a second chance.  Look at what happened with the Crossmen.

This is why I can barely stomach this activity any longer.  It’s still happening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1