COMMONWEALTH vs GEORGE HOPKINS 10-23-19

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

hell we have seen people hired that never should have been period, let alone taking into account "changed or grown"...uh Crossmen and Moody? Most of Romans hires that caused him issues?

Never underestimate what people will do for an edge

We’ve seen it with our own eyes.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and IMO I think that has been the plan...to bleed YEA to bankruptcy. 

The YEA BoD, such as it is, understands that fully.  When there's no path toward solvency for them, they can close up, stiff the creditors, and call an end to the GH era altogether.  

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and IMO I think that has been the plan...to bleed YEA to bankruptcy. Not like the organization hadn't faced that issue due to Hop before

Gotterdammerung... in English.. if I’m going down I’m taking everything and everyone down with me....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’ve seen it with my own eyes.  All you have to do is read Tricia’s article A Failure to Protect.  There was one guy who they kept allowing back into drum corps despite being a registered sex offender who had been in prison. Even after her first article. I was incredulous.  With all due respect,  I think the integrity of some of these groups hires, is being grossly overestimated.  A lot of them think that the offender deserves a second chance.  Look at what happened with the Crossmen.

This is why I can barely stomach this activity any longer.  It’s still happening.

From what I've read,these hires see to have been "low profile" people,who could fly "under the radar", outside of the organizations who,for some reason, hired them.

That won't be the case with GH.

There's no way any organization could keep that hire a secret.

I think the fear of repercussions would prevent his being hired by 

anyone in the marching arts.

25 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

AS you said it was done before and could happen again, Time will also make people forget, especially with this outcome. I am a little more skeptical than you only because I have seen it dozens of times and how people justify their decisions. It has happened more than people know. As far as an outcry, again don't be surprised , that will be the time his many supporters will publicly come out., if not to defend him but defend their reasons.

Hopefully it won't happen, but who knows? It has in the past for sure. I can go back as far as I have memories of these things, in band and corps, and yes, people do manage to get hired again and again. More so earlier than recently, but even now it happens.

In GH's case specifically I think the huge amount of publicity, the legal outcome, and the sheer volume of readily available information online will make it difficult for him to be hired, esp in a visible role, but I guess we'll see. 

11 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

From what I've read,these hires see to have been "low profile" people,who could fly "under the radar", outside of the organizations who,for some reason, hired them.

That won't be the case with GH.

There's no way any organization could keep that hire a secret.

I think the fear of repercussions would prevent his being hired by 

anyone in the marching arts.

Guardling is saying basically the same thing as I am.  And yet you chose to respond to me. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

39 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

The YEA BoD, such as it is, understands that fully.  When there's no path toward solvency for them, they can close up, stiff the creditors, and call an end to the GH era altogether.  

yup hence why it was teased as available for Varsity. Given their issues that was too much of a headache even for them

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Gotterdammerung... in English.. if I’m going down I’m taking everything and everyone down with me....

well no, i was referring to YEA after Hop. granted that may be his approach, but the sooner they can divest themselves of everything worth anything, hello BK and dissolution

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

well no, i was referring to YEA after Hop. granted that may be his approach, but the sooner they can divest themselves of everything worth anything, hello BK and dissolution

Oops I was thinking of something else... but wouldn’t put it past GH...

38 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’ve seen it with my own eyes.  All you have to do is read Tricia’s article A Failure to Protect.  There was one guy who they kept allowing back into drum corps despite being a registered sex offender who had been in prison. Even after her first article. I was incredulous.  With all due respect,  I think the integrity of some of these groups hires, is being grossly overestimated.  A lot of them think that the offender deserves a second chance.  Look at what happened with the Crossmen.

This is why I can barely stomach this activity any longer.  It’s still happening.

YES!

It has happened and will , as long as there is competition. Some will do ANYTHING for success they can't achieve on their own mostly.  You are also right with hires that don't always pan out..Hire the name,, Usually their success is not just what they do BUT who they surround themselves with. It's like the naive  band director or corps that hires some young person who wears their corps jacket at shows in 97 degrees and who maybe spent one year there gets hired only to find out that just because one marched somewhere doesn't mean they can teach. Not that some good new young instructors also haven't come out of corps. People ( some ) WILL do anything to obtain success. It's been done hundreds of times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1