COMMONWEALTH vs GEORGE HOPKINS 10-23-19

2 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

It is astounding to me that is the case in modern Drum Corps.  IF Drum Corps comes back those numbers will surely drop and I bet on one will be able to tell the difference.  

Maybe..remember what I also said, The instructors for many years already are very specialized compared to many of us who were lucky if we had 1 assistant

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

A few things: Gossip and look whos here is  common at most shows, it's always been a big part of the activity. Would you be surprised if I told you there have been offers to this person even before the verdict? Don't be surprised, there are many silent supporters ( Jeff and I don't really get it but he also knows of them ) sorry jeff..lol Will parents be outraged? some maybe. There are many ways to ease back in until noone cares or at least many won't.

Youre right about other issues where noone bats and eye , my point exactly. I can give you dozens of examples over the years and you are right.

You are also right about a desire to win. Competition will do that.

Would I be surprised if you told me GH was offered a position with another corps? I would not be surprised if I learned he was a behind the scenes consultant, but in this day and age any corps that put him at the helm might be shooting themselves in the foot. You mention some parents being upset, I think you would find it’s the young people themselves who would object. BLM protests might be taking center stage, but “MeToo” has not been forgotten and pleading to a lesser charge, probation and a fine, and not having to register as a sex offender makes no difference.

Regarding GH supporters, I think many of us know at least one. Of those I know, he did lose credibility with a few. Some believed the accusations were false, or at least potentially false, but when he fought for the severance which was viewed as excessive, that seemed to be the last straw. He has his strengths. At the soggy rained out MetLife show in 2012, I sat with the brother of a friend of the family. He’s an alum. George made his way through the crowd, shook hands, said hello, and had brief conversations with folks, including the alum I know. I was introduced, I shook his hand. Two years later at the Bristol, RI show he remembered my name. He had a charm. You can’t deny he believed in the potential of Garfield when he was an instructor and it was illogical. He created an amazing corps. I know I did not like what I saw when Cadets rehearse, probably dating back to the late 90’s, and to me the atmosphere felt unhealthy, especially compared to other corps I saw rehearse, namely Crown and BAC. That being said, I rarely heard marching members speak against him and those who I know well sang the praises about their Cadets experience with the exception of the food. 

Until he started using FB more regularly to broadcast his opinions, he was George the maverick but about 2015 I think we saw warnings he was becoming unhinged, and this should have been a sign it was time to go. He may have his supporters, but with all that has transpired, even with supporters he will never be at the top of his game. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Would I be surprised if you told me GH was offered a position with another corps? I would not be surprised if I learned he was a behind the scenes consultant, but in this day and age any corps that put him at the helm might be shooting themselves in the foot. You mention some parents being upset, I think you would find it’s the young people themselves who would object. BLM protests might be taking center stage, but “MeToo” has not been forgotten and pleading to a lesser charge, probation and a fine, and not having to register as a sex offender makes no difference.

Regarding GH supporters, I think many of us know at least one. Of those I know, he did lose credibility with a few. Some believed the accusations were false, or at least potentially false, but when he fought for the severance which was viewed as excessive, that seemed to be the last straw. He has his strengths. At the soggy rained out MetLife show in 2012, I sat with the brother of a friend of the family. He’s an alum. George made his way through the crowd, shook hands, said hello, and had brief conversations with folks, including the alum I know. I was introduced, I shook his hand. Two years later at the Bristol, RI show he remembered my name. He had a charm. You can’t deny he believed in the potential of Garfield when he was an instructor and it was illogical. He created an amazing corps. I know I did not like what I saw when Cadets rehearse, probably dating back to the late 90’s, and to me the atmosphere felt unhealthy, especially compared to other corps I saw rehearse, namely Crown and BAC. That being said, I rarely heard marching members speak against him and those who I know well sang the praises about their Cadets experience with the exception of the food. 

Until he started using FB more regularly to broadcast his opinions, he was George the maverick but about 2015 I think we saw warnings he was becoming unhinged, and this should have been a sign it was time to go. He may have his supporters, but with all that has transpired, even with supporters he will never be at the top of his game. 

People like him can be very vengeful, and un hinged ESPECIALLY when they feel they lost ground or the world isn't paying attention to them. Success can be a powerful tool for sure. I do think , maybe not right away he will be very vocal.

Personally I don;t even like posting about him and trying just to give my opinion and experience mainly because it feeds the beast and its just what people like him need. Just like keystone posted a narcissistic individual, and there's plenty of that around, feed on the attention , good or bad. I would rather not give someone like that the attention. They feed on it !

• Like 3

8 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

man you made me work at that...lol...Im so sorry about the your student☹️ PM me if you want

it's been coming, but thanks. just now that the countdown is on, it's really hit. I'm 51 and i don't want to bury any more students for a while. the first was bad enough

• Sad 4

4 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I am both surprised and sickened to learn this.

i'm not surprised, even if the rumors are true

• Like 3

On 9/25/2020 at 8:49 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

consider fact that Muchacho's director killed Garfield's drum major,.  He did some years (~8?) in prison & came back like nothing happened. 

Wait.  Wut!?  When did this happen?  I don't remember any Drum Corps murders.

Are things even worse than I thought? 

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

It was in the 50’s

Wow.  Thank you.  I didn't know that.  I knew East Coasters took their Drum Corps serioulsy but, YIKES!  

Better not mess with the band geeks after all. 

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

It was in the 50’s

Wasn’t the weapon something really strange like a bow and arrow?

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Wasn’t the weapon something really strange like a bow and arrow?

Single gunshot to the head. There are enough strange details to the incident that it doesn't need any embellishing.

Willam S Burroughs shooting his wife in the head during a drunken "William Tell" game, on the other hand, is absolutely true. Not sure which corps he went on to work with after that. 

• Thanks 1