COMMONWEALTH vs GEORGE HOPKINS 10-23-19

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

A plea bargain in a criminal case is not the same thing as a settlement in a civil manner. IMO it would be public information. 

According to what I know about lawyering from watching Better Call Saul, I agree with you. 

• Haha 5

21 minutes ago, Spinning said:

Trust me, he’s not innocent.  If he takes a deal, that won’t be the reason why. 

Yep; I wasn't saying he was innocent.  I was just playing "devil's advocate".  I like playing the devil's...advocate.  I'm thinking in his mind & with his ego, he wouldn't take the plea deal.  And if you are truly innocent, why would you take a plea deal.  Just thinking out loud... 😗😷  Well, gotta go stock up on Germ-x, Ramen Noodles, & toilet paper.    

• Like 2

Just now, keystone3ply said:

Yep; I wasn't saying he was innocent.  I was just playing "devil's advocate".  I like playing the devil's...advocate.  I'm thinking in his mind & with his ego, he wouldn't take the plea deal.  And if you are truly innocent, why would you take a plea deal.  Just thinking out loud... 😗😷  Well, gotta go stock up on Germ-x, Ramen Noodles, & toilet paper.    

Innocent people take deals all the time. But again, he isn't innocent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Groan... if he takes a deal can only imagine his and his supporters posts.... And don’t forget he can always appeal...

Can a person admit guilt, by taking a plea bargain, and then appeal the verdict?

19 minutes ago, inbetween said:

Innocent people take deals all the time. But again, he isn't innocent. 

Related to one who took a deal because the lawyer fees were killing his ability to support his family. He was one of the “little fish” of a group sting and the big ones kept going to court to delay and appeal. All the fishes had to be in court so all kept paying and paying.

No idea if innocent (he said he was), guilty or just drunk and stupid at the time of arrest.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 minute ago, MikeD said:

Can a person admit guilt, by taking a plea bargain, and then appeal the verdict?

Was thinking appeal on bad lawyer advice or something the court did wrong off the top of my head. But can’t think of any examples so good question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

That's what I was thinking.  But if you're innocent, do you accept a plea deal possibly for a lesser charge or reduced sentence?

It has happened that an innocent person had taken a reduced charge/sentence. 
However, once you accept the plea you are now considered guilty of whatever the charge ended up being.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

It has happened that an innocent person had taken a reduced charge/sentence. 
However, once you accept the plea you are now considered guilty of whatever the charge ended up being.

And generally the accused will have to stand in front of the judge while the judge makes it very clear the fact that one is admitting they did this, this, & this; that you broke the law by doing it; and what will happen to you because you admit that you did it.  

I have a [former] colleague who after retirement from USAF became a high school teacher & got into an inappropriate relationship with a student.  He admitted guilt from the get-go, and copped a plea deal with the prosecutor that included 10-years probation, plus a lifetime membership on the sex-offender registry.  It was a different state than Pennsylvania, so there may be differences in the penalty landscape.  But also, my [former] colleague was not accused of a violent sex offense as GH is accused of.  So we will see what happens.  Looks like the next court date is 16 April.

• Like 3

i remember reading that 90%+ of criminal cases at both the state and federal level get plead out.  

that either means a massive number of guilty people take plea bargains compared to innocent people, or there are a massive number of wrongful arrests and criminal charges, lol

Edited by Lance