COMMONWEALTH vs GEORGE HOPKINS 10-23-19

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'd certainly be OK with that, although I wouldn't limit it to people called to testify before Congress. Most defendants in regular criminal proceedings are at a great disadvantage.

True, though they at least have access to public defenders, and, in cases without major political implications or agendas, limited resources on both sides somewhat balance things out.  

On 3/6/2020 at 10:58 AM, MikeD said:

Can a person admit guilt, by taking a plea bargain, and then appeal the verdict?

No. We don't generally allow verdict appeals anyway. When you hear about an appeal from a jury trial, it's basically the convicted arguing that, "But for the way the judge ruled on [some motion], I would not have been convicted," or "Here's a bunch of new evidence that was not available at the time of the jury trial."

Plea deals generally also require the convicted to agree not to appeal.

21 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

So what’s the deal?

My guess based on NO INFORMATION: he pleads to several misdemeanors, registers as a sex offender, gets a bunch of community service and several years of probation,  and stays out of prison.

11 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

My guess based on NO INFORMATION: he pleads to several misdemeanors, registers as a sex offender, gets a bunch of community service and several years of probation,  and stays out of prison.

This would not surprise me. 

43 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

And hopefully banded by DCI and other marching arts for life.

Edited by Ghost

24 minutes ago, Ghost said:

If he’s put on the sex offenders registry, I think that would be a no-brainer.  But I’ve been wrong before. Sometimes, they slip through the cracks.  Several times. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, exitmusic said:

No. We don't generally allow verdict appeals anyway. When you hear about an appeal from a jury trial, it's basically the convicted arguing that, "But for the way the judge ruled on [some motion], I would not have been convicted," or "Here's a bunch of new evidence that was not available at the time of the jury trial."

Plea deals generally also require the convicted to agree not to appeal.

Right. Pretty much what I thought. The “good” thing is that if he takes a plea deal he is still admitting guilt.

1 hour ago, exitmusic said:

Yup. Makes sense.

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Good idea. They should band him on his ear or some other visible place. That would address Terri’s concern that he could slip through the cracks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1