COMMONWEALTH vs GEORGE HOPKINS 10-23-19

15 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

I think the issue that MikeD maybe referring to is possible prosecution witnesses or victims against the defendant that weren't able to be charged due to the statue of limitations.  They couldn't charge the defendant since the statue of limitations had expired.  I know there were several allegations from other women against GH that were passed the required date.        

Yes, I understand that the Cosby issue is related as to who can and cannot testify to a pattern of behavior in alleged assaults outside the statute of limitations.  What no one outside the Lehigh County prosecutors office is sure of is how the prosecution plans to use similar-type accusations w/r/t GH.  Also not sure if there are legal details in the Cosby case that make the prior accusations different than the prior accusations in GH case.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

So much for speedy trials- no wonder women don’t come forward/ you get dragged through a years long nightmare 

The speedy trial term applies to protecting the rights of the accused, not the victim(s). 

Are there reforms that would speed things up? For example, if there were more judges, would they each be assigned fewer cases and would that make it possible for them to handle their caseloads more expeditiously? (And if that is the answer: how much would it cost and do we want to pay for it?)

9 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Are there reforms that would speed things up? For example, if there were more judges, would they each be assigned fewer cases and would that make it possible for them to handle their caseloads more expeditiously? (And if that is the answer: how much would it cost and do we want to pay for it?)

Only thing I can think of would be cut down on how easy it is for the accused to file appeal after appeal after appeal. But that could cause problems elsewhere.

Knew someone caught in a sting as a “little fish”. The two “big fish” kept appealing and everyone (and their lawyer$) had to show up for every appeal hearing. Finally the little guys took a plea bargain of probation as they were going broke on attorney fees

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I have heard the usual of increased budgets for adding more judges, personnel,  etc.  One of our local judges, (former band parent), told me one time that judges are apprehensive to rush a trial by pushing counsel due to the possibility of increasing some type of appeal issue.  Of course he said that if you're competent in your profession & prudent in your rulings, then there's nothing to fear as to a potential appeal.  Of course some attorneys go into some trials with the appeal process in their strategies.       

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 2