COMMONWEALTH vs GEORGE HOPKINS 10-23-19

33 minutes ago, Tim K said:

In most criminal cases other accusations are inadmissible, though the right prosecutor can often make a good argument that they be included. In civil cases, lawyers can use other accusations to prove a pattern of behavior.

I don't know PA court rules but in CA that would have to be brought up in before trial motions. This is not a civil case so most likely this would not be allowed in criminal court cases. In a civil case you can use a pattern of behavior. Criminal...not so much. 

21 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

I don't know PA court rules but in CA that would have to be brought up in before trial motions. This is not a civil case so most likely this would not be allowed in criminal court cases. In a civil case you can use a pattern of behavior. Criminal...not so much. 

It was allowed in the Bill Cosby case, which also took place in Pennsylvania.

14 minutes ago, Tim K said:

It was allowed in the Bill Cosby case, which also took place in Pennsylvania.

probably depends on the judge

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

probably depends on the judge

I’m sure it depends on the judge. In fairness, the similarities in the accounts most likely  plays a role too. In the case of Bill Cosby, the accusers had stories that were strikingly similar.

I have a question for the Lawyers on this board, is there no statute of limitations? I always thought that there was a 7 year rule or something to that effect?

19 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I’m sure it depends on the judge. In fairness, the similarities in the accounts most likely  plays a role too. In the case of Bill Cosby, the accusers had stories that were strikingly similar.

That's interesting to know from the Cosby case and PA law about that. Like I said each state has their own court rules. That's bad news for Hopkins then. 

9 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Yeah and I'm certain the appeal his lawyers are working on will bring this up. 

I am sure the prosecutors side are too.

for PA I think it's 15 years now for the statute of limitations?

1 hour ago, FlamMan said:

I have a question for the Lawyers on this board, is there no statute of limitations? I always thought that there was a 7 year rule or something to that effect?

The limit is why there was only a single charge in the Cosby case. The statute in effect was getting very close to the date, which is why the charges happened when they did. 

Also part of the reason there are only two women in Hopkins' case. Some were not in PA, and others were too old. 

The statue of limitations laws have dramatically changed from state to state regarding sex abuse really because of the Roman Catholic abuse scandals years ago. A lot of priests got off based on previous laws because of that flaw. But they are changing and rightfully so. To me these cases should be treated like murder cases. If you rape someone there should not be a time frame of abuse especially if children are involved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1