COMMONWEALTH vs GEORGE HOPKINS 10-23-19

19 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m no legal expert but if the judge found him so disgusting and was so angry, couldn’t he have overturned the plea deal and sentence himself?   Nice to know that nothing much has changed in 50 + years.  #metoo my ###. 

The reason the judge accepted the plea deal may have something to

do with the fact that, according to the article that was posted, the victims were O.K. with it.

12 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

The reason the judge accepted the plea deal may have something to

do with the fact that, according to the article that was posted, the victims were O.K. with it.

Oh ok. They probably just wanted to be done with it. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m no legal expert but if the judge found him so disgusting and was so angry, couldn’t he have overturned the plea deal and sentence himself?   Nice to know that nothing much has changed in 50 + years.  #metoo my ###. 

As a lawyer but not a criminal one 99 percent of judges will accept a plea deal. It's very rare that a judge does not. Most courts always encourage plea deals to avoid trials.

1 minute ago, DFA1970 said:

As a lawyer but not a criminal one 99 percent of judges will accept a plea deal. It's very rare that a judge does not. Most courts always encourage plea deals to avoid trials.

I’ve been watching too much Law and Order in Covid jail. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’ve been watching too much Law and Order in Covid jail. 

You're funny. Yeah what you see on TV is very different from reality. There are no "ah ha" surprise witnesses No old beautiful smoky court rooms. Most look like large  office rooms with low ceiling lights and vents. There are procedures before trial and after trial and discovery. Meaning all evidence on both sides have to be shared before a trial begins. It's actually quiet boring from TV law shows. 

• Like 2

Just think. One of the Summer Marching Bands or Winter Programs  is thinking up ways right now how they can hire GH in some capacity as a staff member. Bet me. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

So are the rumors of him replacing Dan Acheson at DCI after he retires true?  :whistle:

THIS !

Had this been a courtroom trial before a jury of his peers,  and assuming no accepted plea beforehand, the result might have been different. Far different.

Both the Prosecution and the Defense are playing a higher level, more meaningful game of Chess. Every move made eventually brings to an end the contest.  We have the result. So long as the competition was played by the rules, there is not much those disappointed can do. Only move on.

16 minutes ago, camel lips said:

Just think. One of the Summer Marching Bands or Winter Programs  is thinking up ways right now how they can hire GH in some capacity as a staff member. Bet me. 

I'll take you up on that bet. Nobody with brain cells would ever hire him in any summer or winter programs. He's toxic. This is not some tech person at a very low level. He was  head of an established organization YEA/Cadets.

Edited by DFA1970
  • Like 1