COMMONWEALTH vs GEORGE HOPKINS 10-23-19

50 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

OK..How you doin.......DUDE!😝

well i got some agita. this mess, a former student now in Hospice care ( Westshore, Bucs and Bloo alum)...bizness is crazy cause-a all dem restrictions....outta gobbagoul...can't go to Da Bing.....fugghedaboutit

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

well i got some agita. this mess, a former student now in Hospice care ( Westshore, Bucs and Bloo alum)...bizness is crazy cause-a all dem restrictions....outta gobbagoul...can't go to Da Bing.....fugghedaboutit

man you made me work at that...lol...Im so sorry about the your student☹️ PM me if you want

6 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

From what I've read,these hires see to have been "low profile" people,who could fly "under the radar", outside of the organizations who,for some reason, hired them.

That won't be the case with GH.

There's no way any organization could keep that hire a secret.

I think the fear of repercussions would prevent his being hired by 

anyone in the marching arts.

I would agree that GH with his notoriety will not get hired by another corps. The “fly under the radar” folks have been and possibly will continue to be a problem. You can’t think “I know this guy, he’ll be fine” anymore. However, it could happen again. Dust will settle from recent bad hires and someone who shouldn’t be hired will be. 

I have known of cases where people have been fired or relieved of their volunteer positions for having their hand in the till while working the souvenir booth, having a mouth that would make a longshoreman blush, or showing up a bit woozy. These are all legitimate reasons to let a person go, no question. These folks show up at a show, words of their arrival spreads quickly, and everyone in the stands knows it and no one can believe the thief, drunk, or obnoxious fool had the nerve to show his/her face. Over the years on this site there have been stories of people who have embezzled, have been verbally abusive to staff or marching members, or have provided drunks and alcohol to kids who may be let go but are hired by another corps.    No one bats an eyelash. These cases turn out to be true and sometimes I wonder as a fan if I know these things, are they extreme examples or the tip of the iceberg?  I think the reason these folks keep reappearing is partly due to the desire to win and lots will be overlooked if you can produce. Part of it is cliquiness. For an activity that likes to view itself as cutting edge, the names of instructors in the program books don’t change that much. These notorious folks become friends and that blinds objectivity. 

3 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I would agree that GH with his notoriety will not get hired by another corps. The “fly under the radar” folks have been and possibly will continue to be a problem. You can’t think “I know this guy, he’ll be fine” anymore. However, it could happen again. Dust will settle from recent bad hires and someone who shouldn’t be hired will be. 

I have known of cases where people have been fired or relieved of their volunteer positions for having their hand in the till while working the souvenir booth, having a mouth that would make a longshoreman blush, or showing up a bit woozy. These are all legitimate reasons to let a person go, no question. These folks show up at a show, words of their arrival spreads quickly, and everyone in the stands knows it and no one can believe the thief, drunk, or obnoxious fool had the nerve to show his/her face. Over the years on this site there have been stories of people who have embezzled, have been verbally abusive to staff or marching members, or have provided drunks and alcohol to kids who may be let go but are hired by another corps.    No one bats an eyelash. These cases turn out to be true and sometimes I wonder as a fan if I know these things, are they extreme examples or the tip of the iceberg?  I think the reason these folks keep reappearing is partly due to the desire to win and lots will be overlooked if you can produce. Part of it is cliquiness. For an activity that likes to view itself as cutting edge, the names of instructors in the program books don’t change that much. These notorious folks become friends and that blinds objectivity. 

A few things: Gossip and look whos here is  common at most shows, it's always been a big part of the activity. Would you be surprised if I told you there have been offers to this person even before the verdict? Don't be surprised, there are many silent supporters ( Jeff and I don't really get it but he also knows of them ) sorry jeff..lol Will parents be outraged? some maybe. There are many ways to ease back in until noone cares or at least many won't.

Youre right about other issues where noone bats and eye , my point exactly. I can give you dozens of examples over the years and you are right.

You are also right about a desire to win. Competition will do that.

As far as names not changing, right again BUT I will defend it because from time to time my own name will appear. I have said over many years some young kid should be knocking me off my pedestal along with Scott Chandler, Jeff Namien, Sal Salas, etc etc, I can give you many and just not in the guard area BUT ALL parts of the staffs BUT it doesn;t happen for many reasons, The bad is the " Club so to speak " sure many should go but many were taught differently back in the day. Not everyone, even talented people can teach, communicate, look at the big picture, connect all the dots. We became so specialized over the years many newer staff  only know what they know, This was something we did not have the luxury of when we were starting. We basically were told if we taught and were young , shut up and listen and learn ,pay your dues as an instructor and we did. We had to teach everything,. We did not have the luxury of 10 staff under us to clean, run sections, etc etc, We had to take care of everything . Very different today with many staff. I would laugh sometimes as I was more of an equipment person, big picture person etc, but never a great movement or dance person but would get a high score in that area. You learned everything because you had to.

It's an art to have longevity in this activity and for many that deserves respect. There are many who should have gone a long time ago for sure, maybe even me BUT in many cases these are also the same who keep things together in many ways.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

A few things: Gossip and look whos here is  common at most shows, it's always been a big part of the activity. Would you be surprised if I told you there have been offers to this person even before the verdict? Don't be surprised, there are many silent supporters

I am both surprised and sickened to learn this.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I am both surprised and sickened to learn this.

He has more supporters than one might think, sad but true. Lets face it ,the man was toxic no disputing that but also successful. One would think it would be enough with what happened it would be enough BUT as I said the outcome of this sad situation will only imbold him. Maybe, not right away in public but I wouldn't be surprised. Some will keep a distance not wanting to be connected based on the entire situation, some will stay away because they were involved and according to him went after him for other reasons , some will stay away because they KNEW all along and said nothing and want to protect themselves from questioning. Some will not care. It's the later that is troublesome but I think true. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

He has more supporters than one might think, sad but true. Lets face it ,the man was toxic no disputing that but also successful. One would think it would be enough with what happened it would be enough BUT as I said the outcome of this sad situation will only imbold him. Maybe, not right away in public but I wouldn't be surprised. Some will keep a distance not wanting to be connected based on the entire situation, some will stay away because they were involved and according to him went after him for other reasons , some will stay away because they KNEW all along and said nothing and want to protect themselves from questioning. Some will not care. It's the later that is troublesome but I think true. 

Another common & huge character trait of narcissism. 

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

We did not have the luxury of 10 staff under us to clean, run sections, etc etc,

It is astounding to me that is the case in modern Drum Corps.  IF Drum Corps comes back those numbers will surely drop and I bet on one will be able to tell the difference.