COMMONWEALTH vs GEORGE HOPKINS 10-23-19

DCI should issue a lifetime ban IMO -- it is well within their power to do so, it would likely require a majority of member corps, it would certainly send the correct message of "zero tolerance" which MUST be the standard 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

DCI should issue a lifetime ban IMO -- it is well within their power to do so, it would likely require a majority of member corps, it would certainly send the correct message of "zero tolerance" which MUST be the standard 

I agree, though with our luck he would sue them and then DCI would have that additional distraction.

52 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Single gunshot to the head. There are enough strange details to the incident that it doesn't need any embellishing.

Willam S Burroughs shooting his wife in the head during a drunken "William Tell" game, on the other hand, is absolutely true. Not sure which corps he went on to work with after that. 

Was Carolina Crown's 2016 production "Relentless" based on the Muchachos vs Garfield event?  :thumbup:  :spitting: 

58 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Was Carolina Crown's 2016 production "Relentless" based on the Muchachos vs Garfield event?  :thumbup:  :spitting: 

Strangely enough many years after that, actually about 12 I think ) Cadets and Muchachos would play a foot ball game together after the season and was becoming a friendly yearly thing.

( Hawthorne and Garfield are very close to each other) well another drum major , from Garfield got hurt during the game, broke his leg and was hospitalized but all seemed routine, well he oddly got a blood clot that killed him.. Very sad, I'm very sure Mike remembers that very well

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Perhaps DCI should put into its rules that corps can’t hire people with convictions for violent offenses or harassment. Considering the corps themselves would have to vote on it that should be an interesting breakdown of votes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

Strangely enough many years after that, actually about 12 I think ) Cadets and Muchachos would play a foot ball game together after the season and was becoming a friendly yearly thing.

( Hawthorne and Garfield are very close to each other) well another drum major , from Garfield got hurt during the game, broke his leg and was hospitalized but all seemed routine, well he oddly got a blood clot that killed him.. Very sad, I'm very sure Mike remembers that very well

Oh, absolutely. It was after the 71 season. We played pickup football often with the Muchachos in the fall. The two towns are very close together.

Richie Chirichella, the DM, broke his leg at the game. He was a math ed major at Montclair State, a senior. I was a freshman music ed major. I would see him hobble around campus on crutches. Everything was going well until the blood clot. Absolutely awful. 

He was laid out in his DM uniform, and the entire corps came in to the viewing. We sang "O Holy Name" one more time for Richie. There was not a dry eye in the room.

His younger brother Steve played snare. His old brother Jerry marched in the early 60's and remained on board as a quartermaster. I actually had Jerry's uniform from 1962, both of us being "husky" guys.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Oh, absolutely. It was after the 71 season. We played pickup football often with the Muchachos in the fall. The two towns are very close together.

Richie Chirichella, the DM, broke his leg at the game. He was a math ed major at Montclair State, a senior. I was a freshman music ed major. I would see him hobble around campus on crutches. Everything was going well until the blood clot. Absolutely awful. 

He was laid out in his DM uniform, and the entire corps came in to the viewing. We sang "O Holy Name" one more time for Richie. There was not a dry eye in the room.

His younger brother Steve played snare. His old brother Jerry marched in the early 60's and remained on board as a quartermaster. I actually had Jerry's uniform from 1962, both of us being "husky" guys.

Yup , was very sad and so unexpected

6 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I said the same. The directors need to show some backbone and permanently kick his ### to the curb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Wasn’t the weapon something really strange like a bow and arrow?

page 3

http://209.212.22.88/DATA/RBR/1960-1969/1960/1960.03.02.pdf

9 hours ago, George Dixon said:

i have little faith it'll happen