Most Successful SMALL Corps?

I was thinking Charioteers maybe? Academie Musicale?

Any others?

"Successfull Smalls":

Brooklyn NY based Our Lady of Loretto "Knights" come to mind.  Great Joe Genero taught hornline led the way for them way back in the late 1950's and early 1960's. They held their own against the Jersy and New York powers of that period and were NY State Legion junior champs in 1962.  

Biggest win came in 1962 over Nationally ranked powers Caimbridge Caballeros and Boston Crusaders at a show in Connecticut.  Many of their members went on to march with the NY Skyliners after the corps folded at the end of the 1962 season.

Elphaba       :flower:

Mandarins back when they were small, Academie Musicale, St. Francis Xavier Sancians, and Railmen.

• Like 1

Since this is on the DCI side, I'll stick to junior corps...

Like others have said.... the Mandarins.  Competing some years with what, 10 horns... and cleaning the clocks of corps more than twice their size.

Boston Crusaders, 1979... amazing small corps. Unbelievable high-energy show that year and a killer horn line.

Southern Tier Grenadiers from NY State. Early to mid-1970s, a small horn line... but one of the best, on a player-for-player basis, I have ever heard in drum corps. Ken Turner's crew. 

The Charioteers put on a clinic on how to design for a smaller corps, IMO... as did the Raiders from NJ several years, including the year they won DCI Div. 3.

Edited by Fran Haring

I don't remember the Charioteers as being all that small, but maybe so. 

In that same vein and around the midwest, the Osage Precisionaires were always a favorite of mine. Small in maybe 80 members or so, but they sure had some talent. 

Fox Valley Raiders, too. 

If you want to go really small and gutsy, the Golden Knights from Kentucky had maybe 18 horns and 12 drummers in the 70s that rocked. 

16 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I don't remember the Charioteers as being all that small, but maybe so. 

In that same vein and around the midwest, the Osage Precisionaires were always a favorite of mine. Small in maybe 80 members or so, but they sure had some talent. 

Fox Valley Raiders, too. 

If you want to go really small and gutsy, the Golden Knights from Kentucky had maybe 18 horns and 12 drummers in the 70s that rocked. 

Oh yes I remember them very well. First saw them in 1972 and they were great! Saw them practicing behind my high school in North Tonawanda, NY in 1974 or 1975 and they were fantastic!