Largest gap between placement in a caption and overall?

In the Prelims of this weekend's Bands of America "Super Regional" competition event this weekend in Indianapolis, with 84 high school bands competing, I notice that one band placed 8th in Music Performance but 27th overall, thus missing (by far) the Finals, which has 14 bands. (That particular band's visual style is considered dated.) And that made me wonder:

What have been the biggest discrepancies you in DCI between a drum corps' overall placement and its placement in any given caption?

• Like 1

1977 Oakland Crusaders had top drums  but placed 15th in DCI prelims.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

1977 Oakland Crusaders had top drums  but placed 15th in DCI prelims.

This was one of the first corps to come to mind when considering the OP's question. They would have won drums had they been able to compete in Finals. I recall Garfield taking 7th overall in 1981, but they were 3rd in brass. Bluecoats ended up in 7th overall in 2007, but they won high brass in Quarterfinals. 

It's tough to find big extremes in DCI competition, but I am sure they are there. The opposite was true in 1984 when Garfield won the title but took 9th in percussion. 

BTW, who was the band that took 8th in music performance at BOA prelims? Not bad. 

I believe Phantom Regiment was 9th in total competition somewhere in the early 2000s but won high percussion a few years in a row (back before their staff went to SCV).

10 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

BTW, who was the band that took 8th in music performance at BOA prelims? Not bad. 

An Ohio band, as it happens: Grove City.

(The last two times they participated in BOA, in 2002 and 2005, albeit those were not Super Regionals but only Regionals with 30 or fewer bands participating, they also did better in musical performance (1st and 2nd, respectively) than overall.)

49 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

How on earth do you know that? 😂 

I don't know how *he* knew that, but it turns out the recaps for that event are on FromThePressbox.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

An Ohio band, as it happens: Grove City.

(The last two times they participated in BOA, in 2002 and 2005, albeit those were not Super Regionals but only Regionals with 30 or fewer bands participating, they also did better in musical performance (1st and 2nd, respectively) than overall.)

Not surprised. Grove City can play with anyone musically. Incredible concert bands as well. Haven't seen a show of theirs in a while but I suspect they do not put the time into visual and the type of modern visual programs we see now.