Largest gap between placement in a caption and overall?

19 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Yeah...Actually they didn't seem that terrible at 9th. It was a huge line but maybe that was the culprit. Sometime size means "nothing". 🙂

Wasn't there a tear during the drum solo?

On 10/29/2019 at 8:49 PM, FlamMan said:

BD 1981 drum line finished 9th. The next year Tom Float was BD's drum guy. 

When/why did Tom Float leave?  Was it around that 1991 debacle? If BD had Star's exact 3 drum scores that year in Finals (remember: 10 each for Field, Ensemble, GE), they'd have scored 96.8. Star won w/ 97. Between that, '81 and '08, BD left 3 Golds out there.

Add: I just looked up Scott Johnson. BD Instructor: 1978-1989. Then something happened when he rejoined in 1994, when they finally won High Drums after the 1987-93 dry spell. Just curious.

Unfortunately, I can speak first hand of one that happened last year at US Bands Nationals in Allentown.  

Our guard took first place. The band ended up in last place. The week prior to Nationals, we scored the second highest score of all bands in 3A for the season. However, we were scheduled to go on very early in the competition (third of sixteen bands). Our score dropped from the previous week by more than 7 points.  I will never understand why we were scheduled so early when we had the second highest score all season in class 3A and no one from USBands could give a real explanation.

No, I'm not bitter.:mat:

Edited by Old Corps Guy

On 10/31/2019 at 6:13 AM, CHRISP said:

Wasn't there a tear during the drum solo?

Drum solo absolutely stunk, if you listen to it with a critical ear. In KAC 2005-2007 I marched alongside one of BD 81’s rookie lead baritones (great guy) and on one of our bus rides I asked the “what happened?” question since I was in the stands (you could hear the dirt up there) that night. He chalked it up to a stupid level of overconfidence (“everyone in the corps thought we had the 3-peat in the bag, no problem”) and an “unauthorized vocal” that took place at the end of opener. The way he described it, “my spot at the end of opener was just steps away from the DL behind me. We’re just nailing T.O....last note, horns snap down....and then I heard people in the DL behind me say something in unison under their breath....the judge whirled around, because he heard it....I knew at that moment we were screwed; there went our ring.” He went on to say the judge was in the DL’s face for the rest of the show, and they caved. 

The guy went into the military even though he had another year left. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, TRacer said:

Drum solo absolutely stunk, if you listen to it with a critical ear. In KAC 2005-2007 I marched alongside one of BD 81’s rookie lead baritones (great guy) and on one of our bus rides I asked the “what happened?” question since I was in the stands (you could hear the dirt up there) that night. He chalked it up to a stupid level of overconfidence (“everyone in the corps thought we had the 3-peat in the bag, no problem”) and an “unauthorized vocal” that took place at the end of opener. The way he described it, “my spot at the end of opener was just steps away from the DL behind me. We’re just nailing T.O....last note, horns snap down....and then I heard people in the DL behind me say something in unison under their breath....the judge whirled around, because he heard it....I knew at that moment we were screwed; there went our ring.” He went on to say the judge was in the DL’s face for the rest of the show, and they caved. 

The guy went into the military even though he had another year left. 

T.O. wasn't played by BD in 81...T.O. was 82-83.

Edited by 84BDsop

On 10/27/2019 at 11:18 AM, Jurassic Lancer said:

1977 Oakland Crusaders had top drums  but placed 15th in DCI prelims.

Beat me to it!

• Like 1