Bushwackers- going, going, gone?

So hello all. Bush announced their 2020 open house details today. To be held on Sunday, December 1.

Not denying I've seen/heard/read things have been a bit messy in Bushland recently, but it sure looks like someone jumped the gun on the obituary 😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yikes. Step away for a few weeks to follow marching band and come back to find whatever this is.

2 hours ago, grenadasmoothie said:

So hello all. Bush announced their 2020 open house details today. To be held on Sunday, December 1.

Not denying I've seen/heard/read things have been a bit messy in Bushland recently, but it sure looks like someone jumped the gun on the obituary 😁

good to hear

This is sad to read.  But in my personal experience, trying to discuss the big changes that aew needed for the long term viability of DCA and its member corps gets met with indifference and/or great hostility from within DCA itself.  

The inherent problem with DCA is that it is, and has always been, a loosely-knit organization where every corps is out for themselves, self-interest rules the day.  Not sure if it is still the same, but back in the day, the show sponsors had to negotiate a separate contract with every corps, just to hold a show.  What kind of sense does that make?  That's bass-ackwards.  Ditto for allowing one corps to win every championship for decades without doing anything whatsoever to introduce parity into the organization., except tell the other corps to get better.  As if that was going to solve the problem.  

That's why I left DCA, that's why so few are motivated to be part of DCA anymore.  I once thought DCA was on its way to becoming a huge national organization that would encourage the participation of people of all-ages all over the country in music and pageantry, for lack of a better word.  

DCA is doomed, in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

How does one introduce parity in Drum Corps?

Sports does it partially with draft order and revenue sharing but in DC???

7 hours ago, drumlaw80 said:

This is sad to read.  But in my personal experience, trying to discuss the big changes that aew needed for the long term viability of DCA and its member corps gets met with indifference and/or great hostility from within DCA itself.  

The inherent problem with DCA is that it is, and has always been, a loosely-knit organization where every corps is out for themselves, self-interest rules the day.  Not sure if it is still the same, but back in the day, the show sponsors had to negotiate a separate contract with every corps, just to hold a show.  What kind of sense does that make?  That's bass-ackwards.  Ditto for allowing one corps to win every championship for decades without doing anything whatsoever to introduce parity into the organization., except tell the other corps to get better.  As if that was going to solve the problem.  

That's why I left DCA, that's why so few are motivated to be part of DCA anymore.  I once thought DCA was on its way to becoming a huge national organization that would encourage the participation of people of all-ages all over the country in music and pageantry, for lack of a better word.  

DCA is doomed, in my opinion.

they still do show sponsor contracts that way. short of banning Bucs, what do you propose? it's not like Allen or Gil said "Bucs must win". Bucs, like BD have a stable, smart staff that knows how to design for whatever system they are in. And I know you proposed it before, but forcing a corps to perform exhibition only for a summer is A) not going to raw membership and interest and B) hurt that corps long term.

otherwise i agree with a lot of what you say. 

11 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

How does one introduce parity in Drum Corps?

Sports does it partially with draft order and revenue sharing but in DC???

You can reduce the disparity by moving from "prize money" (where the winners get all the $$$) to "revenue sharing" (where ideally, corps would get equal pay for equal work).

49 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

You can reduce the disparity by moving from "prize money" (where the winners get all the $$$) to "revenue sharing" (where ideally, corps would get equal pay for equal work).

Have no idea how pay for play works since the 1st gets set amount etc for DCA. Somehow I don’t think cutting down prize money will hurt Buccs as much as other corps that will taking a cut. 

• Thanks 1

Is it just me, or are there several recent DCA threads that could be combined into one?

Maybe "DCA Gripe-O-Rama" or something like that. :laughing:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 3