Bushwackers- going, going, gone?

45 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Not that I know, but some DCA corps are known to have a lot of fans who tend to come to see them, from many geographic areas. I did not mean to word it to make it look like the corps itself brought the fans on busses. My bad.

True.

Reminiscent of college football teams who might get a better bowl bid than a team with a comparable, or better, record because Team A "travels well" compared to Team B... meaning Team A has a reputation of drawing more paying customers to a game.

39 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Oh, great - the G7 theory in action!  So this should be a rousing success, and DCA should be the envy of DCI, right?

In this case, it is individual DCA corps negotiating appearance fees directly with show sponsors. Don't you think a corps that knows it will attract a lot of fans will ask for more $$$ than one that has no such power? Don't you think a show sponsor would be OK with paying more for a corps bringing in more bodies to purchase tickets and other stuff sold at their show?   

One issue over the years, in particular recent years... the days of a DCA corps making a profit just off their show fees are pretty much long gone.

Corps who ask for the moon, the sun and the stars... well... I don't think current-day sponsors can afford that, in general, regardless of a corps' drawing power.

A "big draw" corps asking for more money... that's one thing. But asking for an outsized paycheck... different thing altogether.

Edited by Fran Haring

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Not that I know, but some DCA corps are known to have a lot of fans who tend to come to see them, from many geographic areas. I did not mean to word it to make it look like the corps itself brought the fans on busses. My bad.

Bucs have fans that follow them pretty hard core to almost every show. Hell at finals they're basically several row full as a section. Cabs have followers who trek around after them too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Oh, great - the G7 theory in action!  So this should be a rousing success, and DCA should be the envy of DCI, right?

first off, I never said I approved it, so please don't go assuming I condone it. I think how they set show fees should be a lot closer to DCI's method tan the cluster they have in place now. But based on talking to people that do or have run shows, in this free for all market DCA encourages, corps know how to market themselves to get a better payday. And some corps know how to leverage their fan base. in years when DCI Championships had the hotel requirement, Bucs got alumni and fans to use their required amount of rooms while the corps stayed at a school. So DCA got what they needed and the corps got what they needed.

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

so what is the solution? penalize Bucs?

Of course not!  The solution would be for corps aiming for the championship, to put together a competitive program that more closely resembles the modern paradigm of the activity.  Then hire a staff to teach it, and recruit performers to perform it!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Bucs have fans that follow them pretty hard core to almost every show. Hell at finals they're basically several row full as a section. Cabs have followers who trek around after them too.

Yup, in my marching days, Cos always said people come to a show to see the Cabs. Half of them come to see us win, half of them to see us lose!

But, yeah, most years at the Wildwood show, the grandstand's about 70% blue, even though it's Cabs' show. Fine with me, as long as their money's green!

Similarly, I go to the Hurricanes' August show every year. The years that Cabs aren't there see less than 2/3 the attendance of the years they are.

Edited by grenadasmoothie
  • Like 2

I didn't start this thread.... but since it's now obvious that the Bushwackers are not "going, going, gone"... is there any chance this could be closed?

We can bat around the other "will DCA survive/where could the championship be held/etc., etc." stuff in the other threads. :tongue:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VOReason said:

Of course not!  The solution would be for corps aiming for the championship, to put together a competitive program that more closely resembles the modern paradigm of the activity.  Then hire a staff to teach it, and recruit performers to perform it!

it wasn't aimed at you. many think they should be

• Like 1