No Cymbal Line for 2020 Spirit of Atlanta?

I'm hearing through the rumor mill that Spirit is dropping their cymbal line for the upcoming season. I hope it's not true as they've had some fantastic lines in the past. I think they've even won some I&E's.

Anyone else hearing the same rumor?

• Sad 1

I think cymbal lines just travel from corps to corps! Anyone?

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

One of these days I'll figure out why anyone thinks having a cymbal line is a big deal. 

There's only one logical reason to have one and one corps that should.

Image result for santa clara vanguard cymbals

• Like 5

Sorry. I just don’t get the hype with cymbals. Pardon my ignorance, but it looks like they spend at least half their time on the field just doing random flashes. How does that add value to the show? Does the ensemble really benefit from their presence? I guess those questions are pretty much rhetorical since cymbal lines are disappearing from drum corps.

I miss all Cymbal  lines. For many years SCV and the Scouts had the most entertaining Cymbal lines and I would always encourage people to watch them for a while,  they were great.  Scouts Cymbal line was the heart and soul of our drum line in 1981. Every one of them were hilarious cut ups. The Cymbal line is the most visual in the drum line and the routines and visuals that they display are just fantastic.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, crownisking said:

Sorry. I just don’t get the hype with cymbals. Pardon my ignorance, but it looks like they spend at least half their time on the field just doing random flashes. How does that add value to the show? Does the ensemble really benefit from their presence? I guess those questions are pretty much rhetorical since cymbal lines are disappearing from drum corps.

theres a few reasons for why they are disappearing.

because they are dying off ( ok being killed) the amount of skilled people that can teach them with true skills is diminishing

also, not enough judges actually have the true knowledge to credit them

too many people have zero understanding the textures, sounds and effects marching cymbal lines can give you that a cymbal on a stand or the occasionally picked up pair of cymbals in the pit can do

and finally because visual demands rule the activity, even if music suffers.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1