No Cymbal Line for 2020 Spirit of Atlanta?

15 hours ago, crownisking said:

Sorry. I just don’t get the hype with cymbals. Pardon my ignorance, but it looks like they spend at least half their time on the field just doing random flashes. How does that add value to the show? Does the ensemble really benefit from their presence? I guess those questions are pretty much rhetorical since cymbal lines are disappearing from drum corps.

For a second there I thought you were talking about brass lines...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, MPutnam said:

For a second there I thought you were talking about brass lines...

FTW

I havent used a cymbal line in 40 years. I would rather put those players where they would have more consistent musical impact. 

49 minutes ago, DAvery said:

I havent used a cymbal line in 40 years. I would rather put those players where they would have more consistent musical impact. 

well even Rennick thinks they are worthy, so there's that for ya. he only has how many Sanfords in the last 15 years? like half of them?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well even Rennick thinks they are worthy...

Given that Regiment didn't have a cymbal line when he was there, I suspect that decision is organizational rather than personal.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well even Rennick thinks they are worthy, so there's that for ya. he only has how many Sanfords in the last 15 years? like half of them?

Just throwing it out there...but with the tradition that is SCV's cymbal line, long before Rennick was there, could it be that he wants them...or that he has no choice but to have them? Just a thought.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tesmusic said:

Just throwing it out there...but with the tradition that is SCV's cymbal line, long before Rennick was there, could it be that he wants them...or that he has no choice but to have them? Just a thought.

there was an interview right after he took over and he was asked, and he stated in no way did he want them cut and that he loved them. He's even found a few creative ways to get some ride patterns in there. My hunch is Phantom didn't have them because of Phantom and not him, as he had them other places he has taught and written for.

30 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

there was an interview right after he took over and he was asked, and he stated in no way did he want them cut and that he loved them. He's even found a few creative ways to get some ride patterns in there. My hunch is Phantom didn't have them because of Phantom and not him, as he had them other places he has taught and written for.

Makes sense. I haven’t heard the interview.

On 11/5/2019 at 11:24 PM, CrownBariDad said:

I'm hearing through the rumor mill that Spirit is dropping their cymbal line for the upcoming season. I hope it's not true as they've had some fantastic lines in the past. I think they've even won some I&E's.

Anyone else hearing the same rumor?

Hearing it from the inside as well. I haven't heard why. Maybe it's the old 5 less cymbals = 5 more horns thing. 

• Thanks 1