No Cymbal Line for 2020 Spirit of Atlanta?

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Hearing it from the inside as well. I haven't heard why. Maybe it's the old 5 less cymbals = 5 more horns thing. 

Or guard 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Or guard 

True enough

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

True enough

True story. When DCI Rules sheets were being formulated (not merely re-copied from Am. Legion sheets,) the Rules Congress got hampered by a very energetic, even aggressive discussion about "what ifs" as for the first whiles percussion items would only be judged by the percussion judges, marching only by the m&m judges, horns only by the brass judges unless the horns also marched. Well the pinnacle example that infuriated everyone present to jump into the debate was "What if the guard were given finger cymbals attached to their flag pikes and simultaneously played them in unison or did a cascading sound across the field: would they be judged as percussion members or guard members and by which set of judges?" It took a few decades to put that example on the effect sheets with today having two effect judges (one with a visual background and one with a music background.)

Edited by xandandl

3 minutes ago, xandandl said:

True story. When DCI Rules sheets were being formulated (not merely re-copied from Am. Legion sheets,) the Rules Congress got hampered by a very energetic, even aggressive discussion about "what ifs" as for the first whiles percussion items would only be judged the percussion judges, marching only by the m&m judges, horns only by the brass judges unless the horns also marched. Well the pinnacle example that infuriated everyone present to jump into the debate was "What if the guard were given finger cymbals attached to their flag pikes and simultaneously played them in unison or did a cascading sound across the field: would they be judged as percussion members or guard members and by which set of judges." It took a few decades to put that example on the effect sheets with today having two effect judges (one with a visual background and one with a music background.)

That's a whole lot of NOPE LOL. My brain would probably just melt down. 

On 11/6/2019 at 10:11 PM, Jeff Ream said:

theres a few reasons for why they are disappearing.

because they are dying off ( ok being killed) the amount of skilled people that can teach them with true skills is diminishing

also, not enough judges actually have the true knowledge to credit them

too many people have zero understanding the textures, sounds and effects marching cymbal lines can give you that a cymbal on a stand or the occasionally picked up pair of cymbals in the pit can do

and finally because visual demands rule the activity, even if music suffers.

On 11/5/2019 at 8:24 PM, CrownBariDad said:

I'm hearing through the rumor mill that Spirit is dropping their cymbal line for the upcoming season. I hope it's not true as they've had some fantastic lines in the past. I think they've even won some I&E's.

Anyone else hearing the same rumor?

To be honest I just don't notice cymbal lines if any corps has them. If' I'm watching the drum line probably looking at the snares and tenors. There were some great looking cymbal line (1986 BD) but that flashy form just is gone. Even those fun cymbal racks are not used anymore. BD and Madison use to use those on occasion. 

Edited by DFA1970