Males vs Females demographic.

4 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Did I miss something? Has Open Class been eliminated? 

only if you refuse to accept the world has changed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, FlamMan said:

I think it's a darn shame that the drum corps activity is now only open to college students and music majors.  Yes, I realize there are some members who are not college students, but by-and-large it's a college student activity now.

The stat quoted said 72% are full time college students, so that means 28% are not. What’s wrong with that?

And you don’t have to be “well-to-do” to go to college either. There’s tons of scholarships, grants, and you can go two years to a J.C. before transferring to a state school. No shame in that game. 

12 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

The stat quoted said 72% are full time college students, so that means 28% are not. What’s wrong with that?

And you don’t have to be “well-to-do” to go to college either. There’s tons of scholarships, grants, and you can go two years to a J.C. before transferring to a state school. No shame in that game. 

I and my eight siblings all worked part time and also earned scholarships for college. Only one went to a State school and that was across the nation. it can be done.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Did community college and state school to afford it in the late 70s. Look at the cost of doing that now and whole different (sad) world. Just no comparison 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Did community college and state school to afford it in the late 70s. Look at the cost of doing that now and whole different (sad) world. Just no comparison 

How/Why the cost of college has risen astronomically is another topic outside of Drum Corps. However, and I can only speak for California, going to college here is still affordable if you go the J.C. route and then transfer to a state school (U.C. or C.S.U). 

I went to a private school (USC) and did Drum Corps having a single parent mother. That was a different era, but in all eras sacrifices and hard work are required.

Edited by greg_orangecounty

26 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

How/Why the cost of college has risen astronomically is another topic outside of Drum Corps. However, and I can only speak for California, going to college here is still affordable if you go the J.C. route and then transfer to a state school (U.C. or C.S.U). 

I went to a private school (USC) and did Drum Corps having a single parent mother. That was a different era, but in all eras sacrifices and hard work are required.

As long as we don’t fall into the “well I was able to do it BITD so what’s the problem now” I’m fine. And that goes for anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

despite 100000000000 misconceptions about the cost of drum corps, the costs rose because of: food, fuel, housing and insurance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

despite 100000000000 misconceptions about the cost of drum corps, the costs rose because of: food, fuel, housing and insurance.

Well yeah, no surprise in those 4 categories.  What other categories do people think contribute to the budget? Payroll I suppose,  but I don't think any instructor gets rich teaching drum corps.  What does a caption head earn, $50K? $75K?

10 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Well yeah, no surprise in those 4 categories.  What other categories do people think contribute to the budget? Payroll I suppose,  but I don't think any instructor gets rich teaching drum corps.  What does a caption head earn, $50K? $75K?

I’d say equipment and that’s just considering ye olde percussion and horns....