Everything We Know About the 2020 Tour

13 hours ago, Tim K said:

Word is beginning to trickle out about next year’s schedule and my guess is after Grand Nationals this weekend, lots of info, some accurate and some inaccurate will make the rounds. It won’t last long. The schedule is set to be released on November 20th. What I heard last summer in Indy and continue to hear is there will be fewer shows this year and some new venues. Though new safety procedures were put in place last year, the schedule was set before the new rules were adopted about travel time, rest, etc. This probably played a role in scheduling. 

DCI wants to broaden the audience. This would mean shows in new areas where there is an interest and good sized crowds. Corps want to host shows that will make money for their organization. In some cases,  ticket sales at these shows are not as important as who is in the crowd. Get a certain number of alums to attend shows and donate and your show will bring in more money than souvenir sales. Don’t forget that ad books and gifts from local businesses that can increases show profits. Show sponsors who are not affiliated with DCI or a corps are on shaky ground as we saw last year with  Bristol, RI (technically Cranston since the venue changed). 

Fewer shows? 

Yes, corps are cutting back on how many shows they do while on tour.  But I would expect that would merely result in shows having fewer corps, or allowing more opportunities for open class corps to get a fair number of shows themselves.  Fewer shows would be counterproductive against the other factors you mention here (new venues, travel time limits, broadening the audience).  In particular, meeting drive time/rest time regulations requires that we preserve the shows which string together logical cross-country tours.

On 11/13/2019 at 1:10 PM, Cadevilina Crown said:

Due to a scheduling conflict, no DCI Southwestern Championship at the Alamodome in 2020. Instead, we have a revamped "Texas tour."

https://www.dci.org/news/texas-tour-gets-a-fresh-look-in-2020?fbclid=IwAR0ZH4_rPG_dLuYY5307Njp10bo2cDUFp-6jSk0PTHyPe8HP7iIhSRysWac

When I was stationed in San Antonio I lived within walking distance of Judson high school.  They have a very large stadium for a high school - here is a google map link  https://www.google.com/maps/@29.5078122,-98.3056735,325m/data=!3m1!1e3

NRG would be awesome!  For those who don't know, NRG and Lucas Oil share the same architects and mostly the same design.  It also has an insane amount of parking.  I'm willing to bet, though, it's massively more expensive than the Alamodome.  😞

Mike

On 11/15/2019 at 7:51 PM, Hook'emCavies said:

They could have booked NRG for the Southwestern championship... just saying 🙂

Didn't you book that for the "Green team" for their Texas practices?  What a generous fan you are.