Happy Veterans Day!

As someone else on DCP reminded me 100th Anniversary of Veterans Day. 11/11/1918 WWI ended and 11/11/1919 troops back and had big parade in NYC.

American Legion started by servicemen overseas which helped the Drum Corps movement to take off

• Like 3

Nov. 11, the Feast of St. Martin of Tours, a Roman soldier and patron of all soldiers (one of the reasons the Armstice was signed on 11/11 at 11). Armistice Day became Remembrance Day which has become Veteran's Day. Some may find this article of interest regarding where my uncle is buried after he was killed the last week of WWII. Not forgotten. And why I cheer Jubal.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/americans-gave-their-lives-to-defeat-the-nazis-the-dutch-have-never-forgotten/2015/05/24/92dddab4-fa79-11e4-9ef4-1bb7ce3b3fb7_story.html

Image result for photo of bugler for Veterans Day

https://www.theday.com/nationworld-news/20191111/why-we-call-it-x2018veterans-dayx2019-and-not-armistice-day-x2014-or-veteransx2019-day

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, WaxDCIFan said:

...to all you heroes out there!

Tipping a glass for y’all tonight.

As a veteran I say Thank You and ditto on those sentiments to all other veterans.

• Like 2

On behalf of all veterans, we thank all the businesses that provide a product or service at this time each year or discounts when we purchase something at their store each day.  For all those who pay their federal taxes, we thank you for doing so which helps us collect our monthly pension. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ghost said:

On behalf of all veterans, we thank all the businesses that provide a product or service at this time each year or discounts when we purchase something at their store each day.  For all those who pay their federal taxes, we thank you for doing so which helps us collect our monthly pension. 

True dat!  I ate my way straight through Veterans Day with all the discounts!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ironlips said:

The Greatest Generation saved the planet (again, just like their fathers had a generation before), came home, gave us their Drum Corps.

Lucky us.

Absolute truth. Thank you, Dad, among thousands of others. It's stunning (or maybe it isn't) how little people know about the events of the World Wars. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ironlips said:

Legion, VFW, AMVETS, Jewish War Veterans...etc. The Greatest Generation saved the planet (again, just like their fathers had a generation before), came home, gave us their Drum Corps.

Lucky us.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2017/11/inside-the-arc-horns-drums-gratitude/

Just remembered other groups that I’ve seen the initials at times in old corps records... CWV Catholic War Veterans and DAV Disabled American Veterans. DAV I knew from driving by the local HQ going to work but CWV was new to this Lutheran boy...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

It's refreshing to read the comments from veterans on the discounts they received yesterday, and SHOULD receive on a daily basis. As a son of a member of the US Navy for 25 years (15 active, 10 reserves) I know my dad takes great pride in that day, and you all have earned everything coming to you, and more! Thank you for your service.

• Like 1