55 member minimum?

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Hearing rumor that the DCI minimum corps size is going up from 30 to 55 in 2020.  True or false?

so you read the Reddit thread about the corps from South Brunswick?  Probably better answers found if posted on the Open Class forum as it effects those corps more or less.

I have heard the same rumor, though I also may have read it on DCP. I believe the only corps that had fewer than 55 members that competed in Indy last summer was Les Stentors and where they worked so hard to field a corps last year, I’d hate to see them left out. Yes the corps is small in number, but they have quite a bit of talent. I believe some of the newer corps such as Encorps may be under 55 members, or close to it, but not being able to compete will not help them grow.

The automatic answer can be “there is always SoundSport.” SoundSport has it’s place, and I have enjoyed attending, but it is not the equivalent of OC competition.

18 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

If you go 57, let’s say, you need a second bus which greatly increases your transportation costs. Most buses hold 55 passengers. 

Even at 55 at least 2 buses will be needed  With staff (instructional and support) needs for transportation once you reach about 40 members a second bus is usually needed. I know a group with 65 members and they traveled with 3 buses (2 for members and 1 for staff).

6 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

Even at 55 at least 2 buses will be needed  With staff (instructional and support) needs for transportation once you reach about 40 members a second bus is usually needed. I know a group with 65 members and they traveled with 3 buses (2 for members and 1 for staff).

Definitely. If you go 55, you probably want to go 70-75. It all depends on how long your tour is and such. Packed in like sardines is more palatable on a short tour. 

Something is fishy here.   Encorps came out 2018 as a Soundsports Unit with about 80 members.  They marched less for 2019.  It's 2020 and they decided to fold because they marched less than 55 members in 2019.  I don't get it!!!  For 2020, try recruiting more members.  What about 2018 when you marched about 80 members?  I'm missing something!!!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, gregory11 said:

Something is fishy here.   Encorps came out 2018 as a Soundsports Unit with about 80 members.  They marched less for 2019.  It's 2020 and they decided to fold because they marched less than 55 members in 2019.  I don't get it!!!  For 2020, try recruiting more members.  What about 2018 when you marched about 80 members?  I'm missing something!!!

First, we don’t know if we’re dealing with a fact or a rumor regarding the 55 member rule. I also do not recall Encorps having 80 members it’s first year out. I could be wrong and I am  relying on memory, but 80 seems a bit high. 50 seems on target for 2019. My guess would be the 55 member rule is based on finances and is not an attempt by DCI to be rid of Encorps. I’d also be careful about announcing a Corps is folding when the corps has not made the announcement. Perhaps you have inside information, but many of us have inside information from reliable sources, we repeat what we hear on DCP, but it happens to be the one time our source is wrong, and we find ourselves with egg on our faces.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2