55 member minimum?

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

First, we don’t know if we’re dealing with a fact or a rumor regarding the 55 member rule. I also do not recall Encorps having 80 members it’s first year out. I could be wrong and I am  relying on memory, but 80 seems a bit high. 50 seems on target for 2019. My guess would be the 55 member rule is based on finances and is not an attempt by DCI to be rid of Encorps. I’d also be careful about announcing a Corps is folding when the corps has not made the announcement. Perhaps you have inside information, but many of us have inside information from reliable sources, we repeat what we hear on DCP, but it happens to be the one time our source is wrong, and we find ourselves with egg on our faces.  

and remember last week, some announcements turned out not to be exact or true.

https://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/172186-cadetsencorps/

Edited by xandandl
  • Thanks 1

4 shows total jumps out to me.....

Not sure what #1 means...

Well that sucks.

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well ####

yes only 4 shows doesn't match Cost Benefit Analysis.

With only Spartans, 7th Regt., and Raiders as current East Coast Open entries until one zips down 23 hours to Heat Wave in Fla., not alot of options besides Firemen's parades.  

On the other hand, Casper, Wyoming Troopers began touring due to the dearth of drum corps in their area in the '60's; DCI was the eventual consequence.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

4 shows total jumps out to me.....

Not sure what #1 means...

Four opportunities would be too few, but  sounds realistic to me. I spoke with someone last year who told me traveling to the two New England shows (Beanpot and East Coast Classic) was a future goal, but not an immediate, and the same was true if there was an OC show in New Hampshire. It costs money to travel. 

If they did decide not to compete anticipating the 55+ rule, this is a responsible decision. Telling the kids there will be no season in January would be wrong so you have to respect the decision. Getting a corps off the ground is challenging as we all know. It’s probably about ten years now, but I know of two separate attempts by some talented people to reestablish two local corps in my area. Even with some of the best, it did not work.  It’s not impossible as we have seen with some of the newer OC corps, but it’s  a challenge.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

Four opportunities would be too few, but  sounds realistic to me. I spoke with someone last year who told me traveling to the two New England shows (Beanpot and East Coast Classic) was a future goal, but not an immediate, and the same was true if there was an OC show in New Hampshire. It costs money to travel. 

I lost track, are OC corps paid to perform in shows? And yeah travel is a big consideration even for parade corps who rent transportation just to keep everyone together or to make sure people get to gigs safely