55 member minimum?

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

I feel like if you have less than 55 you should go for SoundSport anyway

Ideally SoundSport allows a new corps to get its feet wet and in 2018, Encorps participated in SoundSport. Now I do not say this to diminish SoundSport, but it not the same kind of competition that used to be available to smaller corps. It can be very entertaining, it can be a way to enjoy alumni corps, you see a wide variety of groups, but if I directed a small corps and had the opportunity to bring the corps to Indy for OC competition, I’d find a way. Life lessons would be learned, there would be the experience of Lucas Oil Stadium, and judges critical feedback, and much of this would not happen at. SoundSport in Indy.

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I lost track, are OC corps paid to perform in shows? And yeah travel is a big consideration even for parade corps who rent transportation just to keep everyone together or to make sure people get to gigs safely

no

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, xandandl said:

no

Thought that hadn’t changed... surprised there are any around....

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I lost track, are OC corps paid to perform in shows? And yeah travel is a big consideration even for parade corps who rent transportation just to keep everyone together or to make sure people get to gigs safely

The last time it was explained to me, Open Class corps do receive an appearance fee during the first part of the season where they appear at shows with World Class corps. 

They do not receive an appearance fee when they split and do the Open Class tour the second half of the season.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Algernon said:

no one folds BEFORE the season even starts because they don't have enough members. 

Would the better alternative be to hold camps, collect fees, learn a full show and then fold one day before the first show when they only have 53 contracted members?

My understanding is they asked DCI for clarification on what would happen if they fell short of the 55 member limit.  Would they be barred from competition, be fined or face or other sanctions? There wasn't a clear answer provided by DCI, and the other Open Class corps they inquired with didn't know either.  Combine that with the fact that it could potentially be difficult to recruit 55+ members for a 4 show season with no championships... and I can see why they decided to pull the plug now.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, rjohn76 said:

Would the better alternative be to hold camps, collect fees, learn a full show and then fold one day before the first show when they only have 53 contracted members?

My understanding is they asked DCI for clarification on what would happen if they fell short of the 55 member limit.  Would they be barred from competition, be fined or face or other sanctions? There wasn't a clear answer provided by DCI, and the other Open Class corps they inquired with didn't know either.  

We know how that has played out with the 30 member minimum.  Even if you had 30 or more in a contest yesterday, if you show up with 29 today, the judges are sent off and you perform in exhibition.

14 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

We know how that has played out with the 30 member minimum.  Even if you had 30 or more in a contest yesterday, if you show up with 29 today, the judges are sent off and you perform in exhibition.

I remember one corps that didn’t have enough members who put Boy Scouts in the pit area. . I can’t remember when it was but I was at the show.