55 member minimum?

14 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I remember back in the 80’s or 90’s, before G7, there was a lot of talk of dusting the smaller corps and only have a group of supercorps.   

I wonder if the Mandarins, in the days when they were dominating Division 3 and had a great corps, ever fielded 55 members during that run?

Imagine excluding a corps of that quality... a championship-winning corps... simply because of a mandated higher number.

Yes, I know not every small corps is at that quality level (like Jim has said, some of those tiny DCA corps before that circuit's minimum-size rule were, shall we say, a tad rough... LOL)... but still.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I wonder if the Mandarins, in the days when they were dominating Division 3 and had a great corps, ever fielded 55 members during that run?

Imagine excluding a corps of that quality... a championship-winning corps... simply because of a mandated higher number.

Yes, I know not every small corps is at that quality level (like Jim has said, some of those tiny DCA corps before that circuit's minimum-size rule were, shall we say, a tad rough... LOL)... but still.

Same w/ Blue Stars in their Div III era.  And Boston in the early/mid 1980s.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Guess the record will remain 7 playing members  with one guard and DM. At least that’s the number I remember from prelims at Scranton one year

and probably a good thing much as I liked the folks in the corps

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

I don’t want to see a 55+ rule go into effect, but I do think we need to keep a few things in perspective. There has been mention of Mandarins, Blue Stars, and BAC having small corps in the past. In each case that was prior to props, having so many paid instructors on staff, travel expenses were not as high, and there were other corps of similar size. Costs are important to keep in mind. There are many things you could do in drum corps in the past with fewer costs that you cannot do today. 

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I remember back in the 80’s or 90’s, before G7, there was a lot of talk of dusting the smaller corps and only have a group of supercorps.   

Hop talked about it in the 90's.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Acadamie Musicale for sure didn't

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Thanks.  These decades all run together at my age. 

RAMD killed brain cells for all of us

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

1994 DIII champs Americanos. The smallest corps to win? 

Could be. 

I also remember the Raiders from NJ winning Div. 3 with something like 16 horns. Great show from them that year.

• Like 1