2019 DCI Finals Audio/Video Products - Any Release Date Info?

5 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

If I had to guess, the licensing deals are made for a set time period before needing to be renewed, and the 13-25 groups probably don't sell enough to cover the fees demanded by Tresona.

correct

20 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

If I had to guess, the licensing deals are made for a set time period before needing to be renewed, and the 13-25 groups probably don't sell enough to cover the fees demanded by Tresona.

If thats the case, then I think it would make sense for DCI to put a disclaimer on the MMDL website that specific downloads are only available until "(Fill in date)".  I think they would probably sell a few more downloads if they did that...when people see that they are available for a limited time, they sometimes consider a purchase more strongly.  DCI used to do that when they released the physical video and audio products anyway, so why not do it for the online media as well?

I may be simplifying this too much, because I know some of the licensing agreements are varied and wordy...and DCI may not even know how long they can sell a download for.

I went for the iTunes versions. Went straight to Blue Knights.  Was not disappointed.  

On 11/19/2019 at 5:19 PM, MikeN said:

MMDL has revised previous years audio bundles and eliminated the 13-25.  Now it's top 12 only.  

And iTunes has only top 18?  

What in the world is going on with DCI this month?  First the 55-member rule, now this.  Have they decided to purge the lower/smaller corps from the audio as well as from the field?  

Mike

licensing $$$

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 6:38 PM, xandandl said:

just a question? Were copyright licensing always enforced as strictly for smaller corps previously as it is for the World Class corps? While WC was always on the produced DCI audio products, I get the impression that Div. 2 &3 somewhat glossed that until very recently. I have no facts to back my feeling. It would be interesting to see what facts were/are. 

Cuts started appearing on open-class DVDs about the same time they started afflicting world-class.  Only difference is they were not always listed on the cover (:mad:).

IIRC, when we still had Fan Network, the first whole corps to be pulled off were open-class units.

3 hours ago, MikeN said:

Just seems weird that it would be done with no announcement of any kind.  Of course, I just went and checked out the DCI store, and I don't see *any* 2019 media for pre-order/sale.  Ooof.

Mike

it's been Thanksgivingish the last few years