Drill is not dead? (Congrats Vandegrift!)

12 hours ago, karuna said:

Congrats Vandegrift.  Great music, great drill, and basically some flats across the back for props.  

There's hope for the marching arts yet!  

And wow --  look at Texas go!

Texas has been going like that for about 3 decades now. It's just not easy or financially feasible to take the trip up to Indianapolis every year.

DCI/BOA should probably relocate to San Antonio at this point. Texas is where the talent is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, karuna said:

Congrats Vandegrift.  Great music, great drill, and basically some flats across the back for props.  

There is so much talent in these bands.

One thing that goes through my mind when viewing these groups is that often the group is just too large to have any really effective drill - but I've always loved big-picture drill and lately we see so little of it.  Everything seems to be pockets of drill on the field.

I loved Avon's show musically, but that narration....absolutely not required for that show.  "8 beautiful notes" might as well have been Yowza, Yowza, Yowza.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Never understood why the state of Texas has not produced a top-tier Drum Corps. They have money, strong high school band programs, it seems like a natural fit. Maybe it’s the weather?

Crossmen are still considered "those new people from Pennsylvania" in some Texas band circles.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, karuna said:

As a director of Vandegrift is part of Team VanDoren invading Santa Clara, will the Vandegrift shift be reflected in Gaines going back to drill and less props as when he was classy in writing those great programs while at Cavies?

https://www.scvanguard.org/dvteam/katie-vandoren/

I have to note her probable exhilaration at beating Avon as she is a former Crownie who was trained there by Harloffs who just happens to lead 2nd place Avon. 

8 minutes ago, Continental said:

So often the best band's don't go to NA for BOA.

Who is on staff at RR?  I couldn't find any information.

What an amazing program.

yes, both Texas UIL limitations on how many consecutive years a band can travel out of state and BOA's own rotation policy which limits some bands does not make Indy a full national championship of every best band as participants in any given season. It is almost similar to the BDB/SCVC situation in DCI Open Class, not to diminish Spartans title at all.

Vandegrift did raise one big question last night... Can a corps go with a dance company/troupe instead of a rifle/flag/sabre guard and still be successful. Vandegrift didn't really have a color guard, but I'll be darned they were amazing last night

• Haha 1