Drill is not dead? (Congrats Vandegrift!)

17 hours ago, karuna said:

Congrats Vandegrift.  Great music, great drill, and basically some flats across the back for props.  

There's hope for the marching arts yet!  

And wow --  look at Texas go!

Agreed - was shocked they didn’t beat Reagan in TX - glad to see playing while marching be rewarded 

• Haha 1

Watching Vandegrift's show on Flo last night, I agree they deserved it -- although as noted above, they were only the second-best Texas band this year. And there was plenty of drill in a number of shows in a long day of BOA performances yesterday.

And for reference: there were 91 bands competing in the Prelims on Thursday and Friday, 38 bands competing in the Semifinals on Saturday morning (starting at 6:15 a.m.) and afternoon, and 12 bands competing in Finals on Saturday night. I haven't tried counting the Prelims bands by state, but these were the states from which the Semifinals bands hailed: Indiana (8), Ohio (7), Texas (6), Kentucky (4), Michigan (3), Georgia (2), Arkansas (1), California (1), Florida (1), Illinois (1), North Carolina (1), Oklahoma (1), South Carolina (1), and Virginia (1). And these were the states with bands in Finals: Texas (6), Indiana (3), California (1), Ohio (1), and Oklahoma (1).

6 hours ago, Tony Flores said:

Vandegrift did raise one big question last night... Can a corps go with a dance company/troupe instead of a rifle/flag/sabre guard and still be successful. Vandegrift didn't really have a color guard, but I'll be darned they were amazing last night

Nope. BOA doesn't care about colorguards. You have to have a world class guard to compete in DCI.

1 hour ago, Brass Lover said:

Nope. BOA doesn't care about colorguards. You have to have a world class guard to compete in DCI.

Well I wouldn't go that far.  But the separate caption is not included as part of the total score.  For that matter neither is percussion.

BOA scoring definitely has a bias to music (and IMO that's not a bad thing).  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, karuna said:

Well I wouldn't go that far.  But the separate caption is not included as part of the total score.  For that matter neither is percussion.

BOA scoring definitely has a bias to music (and IMO that's not a bad thing).  

neither are judged as a special award like many other circuits do

8 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

neither are judged as a special award like many other circuits do

that's still very far from "don't matter".

IMO it's a very interesting strategy.  By eliminating the spotlight on those captions,  they keep the focus on the ensemble as a whole.  Not a bad thing at all.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

The band that won visual, Avon, and the judges who awarded them, would likely disagree with you. Their color guard was magnificent and IMO was what delivered them that honor.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

Watch the BOA San Antonio event - proves what you are saying is incorrect 

9 hours ago, karuna said:

that's still very far from "don't matter".

IMO it's a very interesting strategy.  By eliminating the spotlight on those captions,  they keep the focus on the ensemble as a whole.  Not a bad thing at all.  

there's pros and cons. i guess if directors and staff are happy, then it's good. my general experience is visual covers the guard in detail, music percussion not so much...unless it's a percussion guy on the sheet