Drill is not dead? (Congrats Vandegrift!)

On 11/17/2019 at 1:07 AM, karuna said:

Congrats Vandegrift.  Great music, great drill, and basically some flats across the back for props.  

There's hope for the marching arts yet!  

And wow --  look at Texas go!

Now I know where Star of Indiana's '93 (JvK)'s props went:  Vandegrift's spinning space holders.

(Star lived in Bloomington; Team Van Doren lived in Bloomington before Cedar Park, Tx.)

22 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

Texas has been going like that for about 3 decades now. It's just not easy or financially feasible to take the trip up to Indianapolis every year.

DCI/BOA should probably relocate to San Antonio at this point. Texas is where the talent is.

I found this article an interesting read where it states that there are almost 1100 H.S. bands in Texas alone (compared to 22 DCI W.C. corps) (and of course Texas bands have hundreds of members, not just 154.)

https://www.kut.org/post/east-texas-marching-band-upholds-tradition-maybe-last-time?fbclid=IwAR0QJTYQgZjSHMWXsCMqFdnkhXPKuqGJT_9n6JHmvIQ2sl1S8ff2B4IDwu0

3 hours ago, Forevergreen said:

Yes, too bad about colorguard and BOA. Avon's guard was a visual effect in and of itself. Of course, they have the same team leading them up as BAC.

Avon's guard was incredible - only topped by the top several DCI guards

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

there's pros and cons. i guess if directors and staff are happy, then it's good. my general experience is visual covers the guard in detail, music percussion not so much...unless it's a percussion guy on the sheet

My own now-old experience in band judging is that sometimes guard was over-emphasised in visual judging. 

Music judges did often neglect the percussion, esp performance. And especially if there was a percussion judge, even though their score was not part of the band’s total score. 

On 11/17/2019 at 2:52 PM, greg_orangecounty said:

Never understood why the state of Texas has not produced a top-tier Drum Corps. They have money, strong high school band programs, it seems like a natural fit. Maybe it’s the weather?

I've always thought that the best Drum Corps have typically come from the areas where high school bands are not as strong. Sometimes the band kids in programs that are competitively successful and doing more drum corps-style shows are basically getting their needs fulfilled through their band program... not to mention the fact that those programs are typically more expensive and drum corps is f****ng expensive nowadays.

Surprised it wasn't mentioned before but it was Jeff Sacktig's Drill that helped push Vandergrift over the edge. Really quality staging of elements and clear, readable and interesting progression.

That Brassline though was larger than most DCI brasslines, and they moved alot of air.

Also as a matter of the state of the activity, even this band and all bands in Finals had a sound Reinforcement array on the front sideline. Not that they needed much help but you can defenitely tell when the mics where hot, Especially in the Ballad hit.

In regards to the Guard and percussion judging in BOA.

Vandergrift and other Dance Line only groups highlights a blind spot for BOA.

There is considerably less risk not tossing weapons into the air. Vandegrift and other groups that do not have strong colorguard programs should really not use any weapons at all because in the current judging of the colorguard there is absolutely no need for them.

I suspect those that chose to have weapons in their show are training their younger members for the Winter season, but other than that you have ZERO need for a weaponline in BOA.

My Wife, suggested that the top WGI HS Guards Boycott BOA until their units are equally represented in the Judging sheets. I would imagine most top WGI percussion groups must feel the same way.

We really have become the Marching arts, not just Marching Band, what justification does BOA have to say that all the people in the Guard and the Percussion do not have an equal contribution to the program and its score.

• Like 1

And finally with Regard to Texas and Drum Corps.

Almost every single Drum Corps is holding Auditions in the state of Texas, Boston recently moved their Monthly camps from Florida to San Antonio, TX.

Texas is already firmly fielding a Drum Corps, They just happen to be in every single Corps in the activity.

IF the Corps only drew in Local Talent, The Crossmen would be perennial Champions every year.