Drill is not dead? (Congrats Vandegrift!)

I'm guessing the kids from Ronald Reagan High School are finding this hard to swallow a they defeated the national champs just a week or two ago. I don't know the reason they didn't go - I know that school has the money as my niece and nephew went there. Extremely nice school with an outstanding music program. 

6 minutes ago, SFZFAN said:

I'm guessing the kids from Ronald Reagan High School are finding this hard to swallow a they defeated the national champs just a week or two ago. I don't know the reason they didn't go - I know that school has the money as my niece and nephew went there. Extremely nice school with an outstanding music program. 

A terrific program. Most of these top programs don't go every year. Broken Arrow wasn't in Indy either

The Ronald Reagan program was terrific this year - but a ton of park and play and/or park and spin, which is obviously the trend these days in DCI as well

Side by side the Vander program was just much more difficult in terms of simultaneous demand and musicality this year. The visual/GE monster of the RR program overtook them in SA

55 minutes ago, Lead said:

I've always thought that the best Drum Corps have typically come from the areas where high school bands are not as strong. Sometimes the band kids in programs that are competitively successful and doing more drum corps-style shows are basically getting their needs fulfilled through their band program... not to mention the fact that those programs are typically more expensive and drum corps is f****ng expensive nowadays.

That makes sense, but I don’t think So Calif has a particularly strong HS band program and there hasn’t been a top-tier Drum Corps since the Kingsmen (one may be able to argue V.K).

Pacific Crest doesn’t count - yet at least. 

50 minutes ago, SFZFAN said:

Often it has nothing to do with money ( although it can ) but can be that other programs within the overall program travels, or competes. Happens sometimes with multiple winter programs.

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

With a Van Doren as a director, this was a surprise to you?

Music side was just incredible - especially the winds

Here's the drum centric video of them:

On 11/17/2019 at 3:37 PM, xandandl said:

yes, both Texas UIL limitations on how many consecutive years a band can travel out of state and BOA's own rotation policy which limits some bands does not make Indy a full national championship of every best band as participants in any given season. It is almost similar to the BDB/SCVC situation in DCI Open Class, not to diminish Spartans title at all.

What BOA rotation policy???

On 11/17/2019 at 2:52 PM, greg_orangecounty said:

Never understood why the state of Texas has not produced a top-tier Drum Corps. They have money, strong high school band programs, it seems like a natural fit. Maybe it’s the weather?

I know what you're saying, but check the rosters of the top drum corps...Texas is indeed producing top-tier drum corps!

On 11/17/2019 at 1:52 PM, greg_orangecounty said:

Never understood why the state of Texas has not produced a top-tier Drum Corps. They have money, strong high school band programs, it seems like a natural fit. Maybe it’s the weather?

The major corps already hold auditions and/or winter camps here. Although that doesn’t explain why nothing ever took off before then. I remember wondering about that when I was doing my own audition prep last decade.

Reagan, and Blue Springs, another likely BOA finalist, are in Macy’s parade next week. 

• Like 2