Drill is not dead? (Congrats Vandegrift!)

On 11/18/2019 at 12:56 PM, greg_orangecounty said:

That makes sense, but I don’t think So Calif has a particularly strong HS band program and there hasn’t been a top-tier Drum Corps since the Kingsmen (one may be able to argue V.K).

Pacific Crest doesn’t count - yet at least. 

Yea you might be correct. My son's band went to Texas, only band from Cali that competed in Texas few weeks ago. They held their own and did great finishing 19th out of 84 bands i believe. But still not on the level of the top Texas bands. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Yea you might be correct. My son's band went to Texas, only band from Cali that competed in Texas few weeks ago. They held their own and did great finishing 19th out of 84 bands i believe. But still not on the level of the top Texas bands. 

Vista Murrieta was great, that was a refreshing and different approach as much as I love watching Texas bands all day.   Colorguard and drums especially were a real treat, but the band held their own for sure.  Personally had them in finals.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrumManTx said:

Vista Murrieta was great, that was a refreshing and different approach as much as I love watching Texas bands all day.   Colorguard and drums especially were a real treat, but the band held their own for sure.  Personally had them in finals.  

Thanks! My son is a tuba player for Vista and he said the whole band was proud of their performance. I was super proud of my son cause this was his first year in band. He had been playing football since age 7. He really seems to love marching and he has so much fun. From what I understand Vista is going to Indy next year. 

• Like 2

I watched the show the other and forgot to post my thoughts, but thankfully I remembered!

Whew! What a show! Excellent staging, the drill was brilliantly designed, music meshed very well with the visual design, and those marchers were amazing! I am extremely proud of this school. Those kids are incredible and how about that staff! Very well disciplined!  

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 9:08 PM, jjeffeory said:

Ayala made GN Finals this year (12th), and Vista Murrieta did well in their regional BOA trip to the San Antonio Super Regional (20th).

Ayala ( in Chino Hills), Vista Murrieta, Upland, Mission Viejo, Trabuco Hills, Fountain Valley, Cerritos, Los Alamitos, Mission Viejo, El Toro, Chino Hills, Rancho Verde, Rowland High, Arcadia, Etiwanda, Chino, Hart, Thousand Oaks, and quite a lot of bands in the San Diego area are good as well ( San Bernardo, Mt. Carmel). Southern California has one of the stronger group of bands in the WHOLE country, participating in several different local circuits.  They regularly do very well against schools from different states and regions in the state. They may not all do BOA, but there are a lot of strong band programs in this VERY large and very populous area.

Texas, Oklahoma, and Indiana schools seem to do the best schools, especially in regards to BOA.  California, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, the Carolinas, Penn, Tenn, KY, and Ohio are a step behind at BOA.

California schools have the whole parade scene and bowl scene... So many of them put a lot of rehearsal time into that. Band programs can be strong with doing well at BOA marching band contests.

Concert season, and percussion season, which California percussion sections rule the roost show off the strong SoCal band programs as well.

"

Ayala ( in Chino Hills), Vista Murrieta, Upland, Mission Viejo, Trabuco Hills, Fountain Valley, Cerritos, Los Alamitos, Mission Viejo, El Toro, Chino Hills, Rancho Verde, Rowland High, Arcadia, Etiwanda, Chino, Hart, Thousand Oaks, and quite a lot of bands in the San Diego area are good as well ( San Bernardo, Mt. Carmel). Southern California has one of the stronger group of bands in the WHOLE country, participating in several different local circuits.  They regularly do very well against schools from different states and regions in the state. They may not all do BOA, but there are a lot of strong band programs in this VERY large and very populous area.

Texas, Oklahoma, and Indiana schools seem to do the best schools, especially in regards to BOA.  California, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, the Carolinas, Penn, Tenn, KY, and Ohio are a step behind at BOA."

Honestly, none of the Southern California bands you mention here are even close to the level I have seen from the Texas bands - let alone certain bands from Florida, Illinois, or Indiana. They are good for their region, but no match from some bands from these latter states.  Vista was good, very good, but not Broken Arrow, Carmel, Tarpon Springs, Blue Springs, most Texas bands, or Dobyn Bennett good. 

"California schools have the whole parade scene and bowl scene... So many of them put a lot of rehearsal time into that."

Having watched the all of the bands participating in the Arcadia Parade yesterday (one of the biggest parades in SC), many of the bands were not that impressive. A few were, but for the most part not many of them were nearly as impressive as they were when they participated in that parade back in the 80's and 90's. From what I have seen from SC bands, more emphasis is placed on their field shows than on the parades they participate in. 

Edited by deftguy

12 hours ago, deftguy said:

"

Texas, Oklahoma, and Indiana schools seem to do the best schools, especially in regards to BOA.  California, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, the Carolinas, Penn, Tenn, KY, and Ohio are a step behind at BOA."

Honestly, none of the Southern California bands you mention here are even close to the level I have seen from the Texas bands - let alone certain bands from Florida, Illinois, or Indiana. They are good for their region, but no match from some bands from these latter states.  Vista was good, very good, but not Broken Arrow, Carmel, Tarpon Springs, Blue Springs, most Texas bands, or Dobyn Bennett good. 

"California schools have the whole parade scene and bowl scene... So many of them put a lot of rehearsal time into that."

Having watched the all of the bands participating in the Arcadia Parade yesterday (one of the biggest parades in SC), many of the bands were not that impressive. A few were, but for the most part not many of them were nearly as impressive as they were when they participated in that parade back in the 80's and 90's. From what I have seen from SC bands, more emphasis is placed on their field shows than on the parades they participate in. 

That's why I stated that they were a step behind Texas and Indiana.

Still, many California bands are ahead of bands from Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Utah ( minus American Fork), Arizona, New Mexico, Idaho, Montana, Colorado, Montana, Minnesota, Kansas, you get my drift....

They're not bad bands, they're just a step behind Texas and Indiana, and probably in the 2nd tier of bands nationally...  That's got to be a good thing....

On 11/20/2019 at 9:40 AM, greg_orangecounty said:

Ouch!! So even Pacific Crest ends up being a feeder corps for BD & SCV? 

I don't believe I insinuated that at all.

Just saying that if kids were already a BDB or SCVC member who wanted to do a national tour last year, they may have left their 'home' corps to go to PC and tour. Maybe they return 'home' this year, maybe they stay with PC, maybe they move on.

Just pondering and positing that it's possible that was a contributor to PC's success last year. Not trying to dump anyone.

4 hours ago, Lead said:

I don't believe I insinuated that at all.

Just saying that if kids were already a BDB or SCVC member who wanted to do a national tour last year, they may have left their 'home' corps to go to PC and tour. Maybe they return 'home' this year, maybe they stay with PC, maybe they move on.

Just pondering and positing that it's possible that was a contributor to PC's success last year. Not trying to dump anyone.

I thought they went to Mandarins.

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

I thought they went to Mandarins.

Also highly probable/possible.